Breast cancer in the media

Comments

• Milly21
    Milly21 Member Posts: 122
    Yes that’s how I feel to and if at family event and having drinks I’m sure that’s what my relatives are thinking! Especially my in-laws,I know they are only worried for me,but I only really drink occasionally now to where I used to drink more often. Yes my weight gain is probably more the issue 
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    @Blossom1961 Yes, that's hilarious hypocrisy.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    My husband is the main culprit as he hardly drinks but apparently vast amounts of sugar and fat are different.  I've often been heard to be swearing as the multitude of biscuits, chips, etc (insert any junk food here) that I expected to be in the cupboard have mysteriously disappeared during the night.  And his father suffered for donkey's years with complications from diabetes before dying last year.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Like @zoffiel, Jim Carrey is not someone I would look to for a quote, but our own experience does tend to colour things. We can empathise, but we still do filter stuff through our own understanding. I can imagine how bad a migraine can be, can inform myself about its impact but as someone who hardly ever gets a headache, my actual experience of that feeling just isn't there. Knowing what you don't know can help a bit though. 
  • Blossom1961
    Sorry ladies, I don’t get it. Are you saying you disagree because Jim Carrey said it or do you actually disagree? I have actually stopped explaining myself to people because they don’t understand. I thought that was what the quote was saying. Maybe I am missing something. Sorry.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    I read the quote to mean  that people can only understand things filtered through their own experience. Which I suggest is true to an extent. Someone who is imaginative, empathetic and well informed is in a better place to 'get' what you are saying than someone who is not, but we still all filter information through what it means in our world, not entirely in someone else's. 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Sorry Blossom, I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just a confirmed 'memophobe' . For some reason when I see those boxes with deep and meaningful statements attributed to random fruitcakes all my blinkers go on. Not my thing. I know some find them comforting and uplifting but, for me, it's like sand in my knickers. Real time wisdom from those who must suffer their existential crisis without the cushion of fame and fortune suits me better. Money doesn't make you happy, but it sure as shit changes changes your options.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @Blossom1961 I totally got the quote and I agree, and it goes for any situation doesn't it? people can only understand from their level of perception always, its just that? no point explaining yourself. Bit like Jim Carrey everybody has a different perception of him, not everyone knows of his depth ;) not everyone 'gets it' and that's OK! :) xxx
  • Blossom1961
    Thank you @melclarity. I am having a bit of an off day so was wondering if maybe I was not understanding what I thought I was. That doesn’t make sense but nevermind. I really hate the up and down of cancer emotions and logic (or lack thereof).