Breast cancer in the media

Comments

• Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Am fed up with hearing about the things we should have done that would have stopped us from getting bc. I was a teetotaller until age 46. "Dr Karl" doesn't talk about a link. He says "Alcohol CAUSES breast cancer in women".
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    Well, @Flaneuse, all those nuns who contracted breast cancer, and thus gave the disease the name of "The Nuns' Disease", must all have been raging dipsomaniacs I reckon!!!
  • Flaneuse
    @AllyJay Absolutely. Some of those abbeys turned out some pretty good plonk.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    When the causes aren't clear, there will always be speculation, particularly in the media. Alcohol, processed meat, sugar, fat, etc are all on the 'be careful' medical spectrum for lots of reasons. We are fine with the ones we don't like, looking for escape clauses for the ones we do like. The old line about moderation still holds good. 
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    @AllyJay. I asked one of my friends, who is a nun, about the "nun's disease". She doesn't know of any nuns with breast cancer! 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Ohhh isn't that true sometimes @Jane221 OMG!!! LOL isn't it funny though that they don't listen to anyone who has had BC? makes you wonder half the time. 
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @kezmusc I’ll keep drinking then  ;)
  • Sarnicad
    Sarnicad Member Posts: 318
    I like my oncs answer to the what causes it question - there’s a Nobel prize in the working out of that answer

when discussing alcohol with both med and rad oncs both snorted with laughter at my social drink to about one occasion a month and then only a couple of glasses - clearly I’m not a serious drinker and have only had one drink since diagnosis and didn’t like the taste might try again when the twins turn 18 soon

far more likely the excess weight I carry but then again it could just be sheer dumb luck
  • Flaneuse
    @Sarnicad I like your oncologists. I didn't drink at all during treatment as it tasted foul. Now it tastes good again, but I've reduced the amount I drink because it keeps me awake. My med oncol said the one single best thing you can do to avoid recurrence is to not put on weight; but then of course chemo and rads and depression means I have. Now that I'm off Letrozole I'm trying to lose some.