Six months post lumpectomy check-up

Emim
Emim Member Posts: 27
edited February 2019 in Newly diagnosed
Hello beautiful ladies, it's been a long time since I posted a discussion on here around the time I was starting chemo. Since then I have finished chemo -while not exactly pleasant it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and I have completed 30 rounds of radiation therapy (I was very lucky, I was only mildly pink). I still have six months of herceptin to go every third Friday. 

On Monday I have an appointment with my surgeon for a check-up six months post surgery. I haven't really thought about it until now as I have been dealing with each stage of my treatment as it comes. My surgeon flagged that she will raise with me whether I want to have a reduction to my left, non-cancer, breast. It was already larger than my right breast, and now is probably two cup sizes larger. 

My question for other ladies who had lumpectomies is did you subsequently have a reduction, or did you just leave things a bit unbalanced?

As all of my treatment so far has been focussed on treating the cancer, or reducing the risk of recurrence, I feel slightly odd thinking about whether to have surgery that is for more cosmetic reasons. I admit that while there have been no signs of cancer in my other breast I also am sure that I will have anxiety about it being found if I have surgery.

Comments

• kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Hi @Emim,

Congrats on finishing all the yucky stuff and well done getting through ok.

I had lumpectomy but there is not a huge size difference.  The naughty one is just a bit perkier and firmer. LOL.
     The only discussion we had was maybe doing a bit of a lift on the good one.  I don't really think it's worth more surgery in my case.
    I guess it just depends whether you are comfortable and happy the way you are.  I  had a friend that had a mastecomy and reconstruction with reduction of the other breast at the same time and she is really happy with the outcome.  If they haven't picked up anything in the other one through all this it's more than likely fine.  Won't stop you worrying though I know. If it would make you feel better then go for it. 

xoxoxo 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    It really is up to how you feel.  Just remember that you don't have to make a decision in a hurry.  If you're not up to facing more surgery at the moment, it doesn't mean you can't do it in 12 months time or 10 years time.
  • Sarnicad
    Sarnicad Member Posts: 318
    @Emim we must be only a week or so apart in a nearly identical treatment. I too have an upcoming 6 month appointment with my breast surgeon and have a heap of questions to ask her and seek her opinion on. 

I can still see/feel a divet where the lumpectomy was done and post radiation my affected boob sits a bit higher than the other so I am interested to here what she has to say!
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    Well done on getting thru all the yucky stuff, as @kezmusc has put it!  ;)   No need to make a rushed decision .... you will already have an idea of what you will like as an outcome ... go with what feels right for you.  This may or may not involve further surgery.

I was lucky, @Emim - I'd never realised that my 'BC breast' was somewhat bigger than my 'OK breast'!  So, by the time the tumour had been removed by lumpectomy, both breasts were basically the same size, just the BC breast being 'flatter' across the nipple area, where the tumour was based, and have a divot right on the edge of the nipple - but not keen on more surgery unless it is absolutely necessary for my health.  I am not worried about this - but will point it out to the surgeon when I see him in a couple of weeks for my 1 year review.

I find it really 'weird' that I had never noticed the different breast sizes over 65 years of looking at myself in the mirror!!  LOL The surgeon picked up on it in the first 5 mins on my first meeting with him in Jan last year!!

All the best with your decision making    xxx