Music to soothe your soul...or pump you up....or let out the rage...

KarynJ
KarynJ Member Posts: 193
Following on from the excellent discussion about what movies to watch when you're housebound and recovering, I thought I'd ask about music.  What kind of music has helped you?  Do you have a "go to" song if you're feeling stressed, sad, angry, happy?

A lot of people seem to resonate with "Fight Song" by Rachel Platten.

How about "We are the Champions" by Queen?

Or "Roar" by Katy Perry?

Beethoven's 5th?

Would love to hear what everyone likes and what has helped you get through one minute at a time!

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I recall one particularly dreadful afternoon last spring, where after a session with my psychologist I went for a walk on the beach. I was in a bad way emotionally and the cold green water invited thoughts of walking in and ending the pain. I walked for several hours until exhausted, climbed into the car and made the hour long drive home (the appointment was at her home office rather than her closer office). I played a Mozart cd that I'd picked up for a dollar at a school fête. It soothed me in a way that I find hard to explain. It's still in the car. I'll get the cover tomorrow and let you know exactly what the pieces were. K xox
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    I am a classical music enthusiast. Anything by Bach, Straus
    ( father and son), Mozart, Tchaikovsky., Handel. Not a fan of Debussy ( too strung out for me!).

The music does not have to be soothing just something I can relate too. When I am really cross with what life has dealt me, "The Ride of The Valkeries" is my go to.

Can't find me on the block ? House empty? Follow the strains of a symphony orchestra to my sewing "studio" (donga).

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Mahler's Resurrection Symphony; Spem In Alium, the 40 part motet by Thomas Tallis; Missa Solis by Nigel Westlake; Elgar's Cello Concerto (the later Du Pre version); Arvo Part's Canon on the Death of Benjamin Britten. My top 5 currently on the 'take yourself out of here' list.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Depends on the mood.  Great topic.  We actually had a thread a while ago "Your day in three songs" Isn't it amazing how music can resonate with what you are feeling and can change your mood in an instant.  I have a song for everything.

Contemplative;       Halleluhjah....I like the Pentanox version
    Sad                         Sad Songs....Elton or Top of the World ...Dixie chicks version
    Happy                    Let your love flow....Bellamy Brothers
    Strong                    I'm still standing ......Elton
    Stuck in a rut         Rainy days and Mondays.....The Carpenters
    Needing to get out of a dark funk..............Wine plus daggy disco = instant mood change :)  He he he

xoxox

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Good thread, @KarynJ     I love my classical - same as @Annie C (great composer choices!)  Our school used to play classical in the 15 mins lead up to the Headmistress arriving for morning assembly - and I was in charge of what was played!   SUCH POWER!!!  :)  ..... the Valkyries is particularly uplifting - I find myself conducting it when I hear it!!  

But I also love some pop - and We are the Champions - will always get me joining in!!  I remember playing it on my car tape back in the early 80s when our team had just won the Grand Finals in our Grade in Squash!!  It will forever take me back to that night!

In our campervan, I have an old iPod that is just full of my favourite music & it plays randomly thru the radio .... a real lucky dip!  It may be 60s pop, the Seekers, George Formby or the 1812 Overture - I just never know what is coming up next!  I love it.

I even like Richard Clayderman - for some peaceful piano schmaltz!  
  • Annie C
    @arpie
    I am sure that you have been sneaking a peek through my donga windows when "Ride of the Valkyries" is in full volume!

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    edited February 2019
    A lot can depend on how you feel and sometimes something totally random can bring joy

Can't go past Queen, Axiom, A Little Ray of Sunshine. LRB, Reminiscing, Pink Floyd and Stevie Wright Evie Parts 1,2,3!! 

Recently attended a funeral and the opening song was What a wonderful world by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole - absolutely beautiful and so calming
  • Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,193
    Love this topic! Definitely depends on the mood...

Happy / Good with the world: Shiny, Happy People (REM), lots of Crowded House, Queen, David Bowie...so many others  
    Sad: Linger (The Cranberries), Days of Our Lives (Queen), Take it All (Adele) 
    Laid Back / Smooth: Times Like These (Jack Johnson), 
    Angry: You Oughta Know (Alanis Morrissette),  Zombie (The Cranberries)

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    I LOVE LRB @iserbrown... such beautiful songs and Terrific harmony.  Not much harmony in the group now tho. :(

i was introduced to his duet Somewhere/Wonderful world also at a funeral. I love it.  If you go on YouTube and look for the one with 20 million views ..... it will bring you to tears.  It includes the return of his ashes to his island home.

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    ah music is good for crying or getting in darker if you want to ... and also lifting you up.... 

my music is from Classic to Eminem with a lot of OLD hymns when I need to uplift my soul.... 

If I am feeling melancholy I play music which I had shared with  my Dad Scottish - Alexander Brothers or Irish music.... 

My family knows when I put on the Music in my computer and slide the door closed approach with caution... Mum needs some time to work on emotions etc.... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGf916aTDXo&feature=related this song  has me in tears within 2 lines it resonates from my teen years .... 

Amazing how we each have music for our various moods etc.... 

• Annie C
    @SoldierCrab
    Oh how lovely. Today is not a good day. My breathing is ragged and so I am confined to my chair when I would rather be in my garden ( or sewing). I am not good at this, (being confined).

Sitting here, looking out of the window and watching the birds in the garden and flitting around their water bowls,  listening to this piece of music has made me realise how much I have  to be happy about. 

Thankyou

Warm Kimberley wishes to you.
    Annie
  • Stork
    Stork Member Posts: 121
    Any music by
    Enya
    Neil Diamond 
    Loreena Mckennett
    When I play the songs on my iPhone my mood changes for the better and my pain goes
    Stork
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    The Mozart music that soothed me were his Piano Concertos No 21, K467, and No 17, K453.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    I discovered a lady called Eva Cassidy with an incredible voice  during treatment.Sadly  Eva passed away some years ago but her music lives on and here’s a sample for you all 
    https://youtu.be/9UVjjcOUJLE
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    PS The Eva Cassidy story is on YouTube as is much of her music .