Essential movies to watch when forced to sit on your arse due to treatment.

Comments

• CarmelS
    CarmelS Member Posts: 268
    Ooh my goodness I just watched the last Derry girls this morning very funny, but also liked the last few minutes of “real life”. 
    Husband of mine watches things like Travellers, Touch, Designated Survivor & has just started on Limitless. He likes sci-fi & time travel stuff. 
    Carmel
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    For anyone who likes the bizarre a series on Stan called The Circus which has been following politics in USA since 2016 - has been a real eye opener.4th series starts in 2 weeks .
  • JJ70
    JJ70 Member Posts: 983
    The Wife - Glenn Close is amazeballs  :#

• Anne94
    Anne94 Member Posts: 162
    Some movies and series that I have watched over the last 2 years when I've been post-op.
    Lucifer (Netflix)
    Most of the Marvel series - Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, etc 
    Gotham
    Shetland
    Victoria
    The Crown
    Grace and Frankie
    The Good Place
    The Sinner 
    The Ranch
    Bad Moms 1 & 2
    Love Actually
    Thor
    The Avengers
    Wonder woman
    Shawkshank Redemption
    The Green Mile
    The Handmaids Tale ( and read the book too)
    Call the Midwife (series 7 is on BBCfirst - Foxtel) 
    Daddy's home 1 & 2 
    Jumanji 
    I had a lot of time sitting around - not being able to drive etc but I did read a lot of books as well. The Shetland series is much better in book form than TV (my husband is from the Shetlands). 
  • Anne94
    Anne94 Member Posts: 162
    Oh I forgot - The Bletchley Circle and Broadchurch

• Sarnicad
    Sarnicad Member Posts: 318
    @Sister @CarmelS. OMG Derry girls is hysterical particularly if you’ve grown up Irish catholic.

The holiday house we stayed in recently had Netflix and I binge watched a few series. 

IT crowd early episodes
    started Brooklyn 99
    arrested development (that was more hubby but I do find it funny - particularly the Mexican wall episodes)
    monty python movies - life of Brian and the meaning of life

hubby is a tight arse so won’t get on subscribing but I’m pretty happy that Brooklyn 99 is coming to sbs very soon so I will be able to continue my obsession with it shortly 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    love Brooklyn 99 @Sarnicad! So very funny. Keep your eyes on the SBS channels as they repeat the earlier series quite often.
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    I'm not sure if some of my favourite movies would appeal to many. However, I  have just watched a super scary movie: "A quiet place". "Lady Chatterley's lover", book and many film versions, "Perfume", plus numerous "Frankenstein" movies are some of my favourites. 
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,951
    Dear @Anne94 , I agree with your comment on the Shetland series - the books are waaaay better than the TV series. The TV version changed the plots, and the hero, Jimmy Perez, was all wrong - he should have had black hair!
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Understand what you mean @jennyss I love reading the Lee Child Books especially the ones that include  Jack Reacher who towers over 6 ft and built like a brick shit house .  Why the hell when they made a movie did they put Tom Cruise as Jack.Reacher .  Haven't watched it on principle.     
    Can't wait to see the new 'Storm boy.'  though  Has anyone seen it yet. xo
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    The new "Storm boy" is good but not as good as the original. 
    Thankfully the little one that I  took to see "Storm boy" did not want to see " Mary Poppins"! That would have been torture! 😐
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    @kitkatb that's my thoughts exactly about the Jack Reacher character , I haven't seen the film either for that reason . I remember watching The bridges of Madison County & being so disappointed , I thought Meryl Streep & Clint Eastwood were all wrong after reading & loving the book 🙄
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    That's so true @tigerbeth    :)
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    I agree too @tigerbeth about Bridges the movie . However I went to NYC in 2014 and they had made a musical of it.The music and performances were spot on.It was  popular at the box office but not with the critics who preferred less traditional stories.The music can be found on YouTube including the entire cast recording. Here are a couple of tracks:

https://youtu.be/Qz7KyvxuVTg

https://youtu.be/UVEkCujOHkg

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Not in active treatment anymore but the weather has been rather unkind this holidays so if you're looking for something to watch, I can recommend:

The Letdown (series 1 on Netflix, series 2 on iview)
    State of the Union (iview)
    Killing Eve (series 2 on iview, not sure where you'd find series 1 if you haven't seen it)

and just finished a movie on Netflix, "What we did on our holiday" which was great (Billy Connolly, David Tennant, Rosamund Pike) but heads up cancer (not bc) warning.