Night Howls

Options

Comments

• Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    @Flaneuse. Always remember that fine stands for F@#&ed off, insecure, nervous and exhausted!
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Poor Harvier.
    "You are very insistent about this, yes?" Extremely.
    "I see no contraindication, or I say no." It's my choice, really.
    "I think before today, you will demand anyway." Just write the script.
    So, let the vagdazzling begin. It's going to be a messy and expensive process and any improvement will appear in about three weeks. Fingers (and legs) crossed until then.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Flaneuse My go to is "Vertical"...
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    @kmakm Love "vertical".
  • kmakm
    edited January 2019
    Options
  • JJ70
    JJ70 Member Posts: 983
    Options
    @kmakm - been reading about the arm rubbing with @Flaneuse and wondering what would your 'go to response' be now? Personally, I've had very few arm rubs and think I might not be to adverse to it. I am not a touchy-feely type person as a rule, but BC has made me a little more that way. I like physically connecting with people more now than ever before, I wonder if anyone else has found the same?  People don't know what to say generally - an arm rub says a lot really.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    For me, it depends on the type of arm rub.  The one where people lean right in and rub my arm like it's a Buddha's belly is oppressive (much as it was when I was pregnant and people would think it okay to rub my tummy - euggh).  When someone just reaches over and gives my arm a brief rub it's more of a connection.
  • JJ70
    JJ70 Member Posts: 983
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Awake since 3......................bored..................hello.................. :smiley::p...oooh...internet shopping.......shhh don't tell Marie Kondo I am bringing more stuff into the house (or my husband) :o
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Bloody cat woke me up at 4:15am - yowling to go out for 3/4 hour - apparently, no-one else heard him but I'm the one who has to go to work! ggrrrrrr...
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,576
    Options
    I'm a bit of a hugger, possibly even more so since my diagnosis, particularly with my uke buddies - so arm rubbing doesn't worry me too much .....

Someone's watch alarm went off at 1am this morning tho .... grrrrr  I will hunt it down!!
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    @JJ70 A few good thoughts in that link. I'll share some of them - especially the one about life after cancer.
    Oh, internet shopping in the middle of the night! Guilty. I have so-called "non-stick" saucepans that I don't like. New SPF50+ shirt arriving today.
    I've always been a "hugger" but being the object of pats and rubs of sympathy is new to me, therefore difficult to get used to.

• kmakm
    Options
    @JJ70 I am a hugger and have to restrain myself because I know many aren't. Since having BC I'm throwing caution to the wind a bit more on that front and going the hug regardless!

I don't mind the arm rub at all. It just amuses me how frequently that's the response. I find it interestingly instinctive.

My response to the news that someone has cancer (which I determined before I had cancer myself), when delivered personally by that person, is to say something along the lines of "Well that's f****d". I then ask if they want to talk about it or not and take my cues from there. How the whole conversation goes determines the level of physical contact. But I'm not drawn to the arm rub. I do more of reassuring arm clasp I think.
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    @kmakm
    I am more of an arm around the shoulder person. To me that says that we are facing this together, forward. A hug turns my back on the problem and only leaves one person facing forward.

However all hugs and arms around shoulders are gratefully received.
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 943
    Options
    @Annie C, here come a somewhat sticky (it's as humid as all hell here), hug from Sydney..(((hug)))