Heart aflutter again.

Brenda5
Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
edited January 2019 in Health and wellbeing
I just spent the day in hospital with a heart flutter. I am on beta blockers, as it happened about March last year too. Not sure if it is my age or a follow on from the 2016 chemo but it is annoying to have what is basically 2 heart rhythms working against each other.
The doc said a second rhythm can start and it says, 'I can get there faster' and takes over. The old rhythm says, 'no way', and they fight.
I took extra beta blockers and it slowed both beats down until one gave up and went back to sleep. Hospital just had to keep an eye on me and monitor and it eventually settled down and came good and they released me.
I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow who I imagine will either increase the dose rate or try me on another type. 
https://www.healthline.com/health/living-with-atrial-fibrillation/paroxysmal#progression

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    No one needs that @Brenda5. Wishing you a big All's Well. Time is better spent with the hound than connected to sticky dots Mxx
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Oh dear @Brenda5  - you weren't chasing the hound, were you??

I hope it settles down and behaves now you are home again - and that you behave too!!   ;) 

Take care of yourself & do what ya gotta do to keep on top of it!  xx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Good luck with your appointment @Brenda5. I am on beta blockers too, a post chemo compounded by age arrhythmia, but I just get a bit racy at times!  Or at least used too, been ages since I had any incidence or at least too little to notice. I was on medication, as well as the beta blockers, which stopped working, so my cardiologist suggested beta blockers alone rather than upping the dose (with possible side effects). The irregularity is minor, not constant and gives me no side effects. So far (nearly three years), so good. Hope you get a workable and easy solution to your opinionated heart too. 
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Hello @Brenda5 so good to hear that you are back home and that it has settled, take care of you
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    @Brenda5 that's no good , hope you're feeling better soon . Quite scary i'd imagine
    Hugs x
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    That's no good Brenda. I hope it settles down and never happens again. Take care, K xox
  • Brenda5
    It is fairly common the doctor said as there were 3 others in on the same day with the same thing. I hadn't been doing anything, just got up, had a cuppa and was reading emails when the palpitations started.
    On a good note, the beta blockers have improved my eyes and now I am off the Tamoxifen the eye clots shouldn't happen again.
  • kmakm
    Take the wins!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Pretty scary, I should imagine. Hope it's all settled.
  • Brenda5
    edited January 2019
    Saw the gp today and he made me cry. He kept asking me what the hospital said. Asked why it happened. Branded it chronic even though it only happened yesterday and once in March last year. Said my 100mg of aspirin daily would do nothing to stop it. Said there are better drugs to regulate the heart than Metoprolol beta blockers. Hubby asked why the hospital did another chest xray and the doctor said to show I still had a heart and two lungs. He said the atrial flutter is never fatal although I might have a stroke because of it. How is that better? To be a drooling vegetable or dead?
    I asked about my painful finger cancer referral. He said he had confirmation they got it. I asked how long till they contact me, another week, a fortnight, a few months. He said well it wont be years. He assured me this visit that they won't cut my finger off so thats something. He offered no painkillers at all.
    So no increase in heart meds at all. A heart ultrasound in a week and he left it at that. 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Agggh. Man deserves kicking. I've just written on another thread that I have some sympathy for doctors, but not much for this one. Of course there are drugs that can control heart rate - so what does he suggest, why, and what's the impact? He's right, atrial flutter is most unlikely to kill you but tension about a stroke won't help one bit - my cardiologist has me on blood thinners to protect against same. It may not be the right solution for you, but your GP doesn't sound much motivated to find solutions, just alarm you. Don't even start me on the finger. Can you get a referral to a cardiologist? 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    No patience with ignorant doctors.  I hope you don't have to see him again.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    What a tool of a Doctor!  I am so sorry you've been put thru that  @Brenda5.  Was he your 'regular' GP up til now?  Is there someone else you can see?  He should have been sent a report from the hospital & read it for himself - your discharge papers. 

How long since you've seen a cardiologist?  Have you had a stress test recently?   Sounds like a visit is needed again.

take care, xx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Hopefully the heart ultrasound will give a clearer picture!
    Take care
  • kmakm
    Ffs, gargh! I want to slap him upside the head... Geeze Louise! Honestly, some people...  :s