Lumpectomy and deodorant

hillies2
hillies2 Member Posts: 10
edited January 2019 in Newly diagnosed
hi ladies. Lumpectomy on Wednesday. What do I do/don’t do about deodorants? Natural, stick, all that. Also there’ll be radiation. Can anyone firstly tell me what to do/not do and then recommend a brand? Thanks. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Moo Goo do a stick deodorant that is generally considered okay during radiation.  However, check with your surgeon about using anything after surgery.
  • hillies2
    hillies2 Member Posts: 10
    Thank you!
  • Chris51
    Chris51 Member Posts: 29
    I was told as long as the deodorant was aluminium free it was OK while going through the radiation treatment. I generally use the crystal type deodorant which is supposedly all natural anyway. Haven’t had any problems with this. 8 more treatments to go and I am really counting them down now!
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    No deodorant under that arm for me for quite a while. Gross.  Couldn't spray the axilliary clearance scar under there and was told no deodorant at all during radiation. You'd probably be safe with the MooGoo one though. They all have different opionions just go with what they tell you. 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,539
    I used Moo goo! Recommended!
    Here's a link so you can read the ingredients 

https://moogoo.com.au/deodorant/fresh-cream-deodorant.html
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I started using Moo Goo after my mastectomy and simply never stopped (6 years). It does the job and seems benign. 
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    I don't perspire on my left hand side where I had mastectomy and axillary clearance.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,539
    edited January 2019
    @pattij - should I say lucky you or not?  I'd be happy if I didn't perspire but I assume it is a natural part of our being
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    @iserbrown. It feels weird still. I am still numb under my arm, so many years later.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    I don't use any. Most perfumes and chemical scents give me a roaring headache now, even if someone else is wearing them. Rads fried one armpit so that side doesn't sweat but I frequently get a whiff of myself that smells distinctly like burning rubber. No deodorant on the planet will disguise the smell of 100 smouldering truck tyres so I've given up.
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    I have just started using Simple Roll on deodorant that has no aluminium. Smells quite nice as well,bought it from Chemist Warehouse for under $3.
    Will have a look at the Moo Goo one as well.
    I did ask the doctor when I visited the Radiotherapy clinic, and she said an aluminium free one , but best to ask when you visit your Radiotherapy clinic as everyone’s situation may be different.
  • Wonk
    Wonk Member Posts: 61
    My hospital recommends Deonat in their literature. I bought this but didn’t like the crystal stick. My friend gave me the Moogoo and I prefer to use this. The only thing I have to be careful of is that I’ve got Mepitel film on for radiation and it extends under my armpit. I have to be careful not to get it wet from the deodorant or it peels off.  Was also told not to shave under the arm on the treatment side as it could break the skin. Instead I can carefully use an electric type razor. I make sure the other armpit looks and smells good to compensate 😊
  • Karenhappyquilter
    Karenhappyquilter Member Posts: 242
    I used no deodorant for radiation which was in winter and was surprised to have not felt the need to use deodorant since.  As far as I can tell, my arm pits don’t smell nasty.  I now wonder if we are using deodorant unnecessarily.  I believed I needed to use it for years. 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Almost certainly we are! Many people shower or bathe daily, and unless you are doing physical, sweaty work, the chances of smelling unpleasant if washing daily is not high. Some people do generate a stronger body odour than others, not necessarily unpleasant, but we have been strongly persuaded that we should have no odour at all (unless a manufactured, added one!). Power of advertising playing on a fear of unintentional offence (the old "will you tell her?" ads). 
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    since diagnosis I began using this one http://myauraorganics.com/  I buy it in coles or woolies 
    http://myauraorganics.com/shop/