New and so confused

Comments

• AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    @Zoffiel...Jim Morrison (The Doors)...People are Strange....."...
  • Newby24
    Newby24 Member Posts: 62
    Yes strange or strangers I think that is my comfort right now 👍🏼 how you can connect with strangers lol I said something today about looking after my toenails and my daughters said how do you know that? I said my friends online 👍🏼
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @Sister Yes! I'm constantly looking for different ways to phrase it. It can sound very dodgy to those who don't understand the nature of this place!
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    @Newby24...Good morning hug coming your way. I absolutely agree with you consulting your medical team for questions and concerns regarding your actual treatment. However, truth be told, they haven't got the time or inclination to answer questions regarding day to day matters. This hive mind we have hear, gives a broad spectrum of experiences and advice. Of course, each person reacts differently to each situation. I might say I had a passion for Salt and Vinegar chips during chemo, and another might say salty things were yuck and they ate ice cream. The fact that you see the old "different strokes for different folks" in action, I think, gives you the comfort of knowing that if one thing doesn't work for you, try another. If you just have one person giving you their opinion, well you only end up with one idea or choice.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    It is comforting to know that there's a group of people out there who are living this and truly get it.  Yes, absolutely listen to your medical team but it's good to get the support from so many who have been through it.  And sometimes, it helps you to form the questions you need to ask.  (I would never have known to ask about Mepitel film during rads if I hadn't heard about it here - my hospital had it, but only offered it on request)
  • Newby24
    My BC nurse said you should bring a bag of chicken chips to chemo cause other ladies do haha i said to the BC nurse the other day that I am a very controlled person and this is another reason this is hard but I believe in a just a short week I have started to take back some of the control by connecting and finding out more and more so chemo this week coming and in 12 weeks I will come back here and ask @Sister what is Mepitel Film 🤔
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Good luck with the chemo  @Newby24 it was a huge decision but at least you are comforted you are doing everything possible.  The first one is daunting as what we have imagined is a lot worse than what it actually is. I found all of the chemo nurses fantastic. There is nothing they haven't seen before and are prepared for everything.  I found once hooked up I just had something to eat, a cuppa and just dozed thanks to the drugs.  I had only one hiccup but the nurses were onto it straight away within seconds.  You've got this.  Yes you will feel like rubbish some days ( for me it was day 3 to day 10 ) then I made sure on my last week before chemo again I would catch up with a few close friends or they would know to visit me if I was feeling good.  Thinking of you.  xo
  • Newby24
    Thank you @kitkatb I am coping as well as possible this week and am going to a 60th of a relative tonight. It’s a 1920’s theme so I am getting my hair done n this might be my before photo and then on Tuesday I will take an after photo 👍🏼 My nearly 16 year old granddaughter said nan I will do your makeup (never usually wear makeup) and she said I will come and pamper you on your good days 💕 I am so lucky to have a loving and very supportive family and friends. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    It's a type of film that they put on your skin to protect it from the radiation.  Some places use it, others don't.  There's some other stuff you can get that I can't remember what it's called and is rather expensive so I don't think many places offer it. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited January 2019
    @Newby24 Your 15yo grand daughter sounds like an absolute doll! And a tribute to you and her parents for being such a caring sweetheart. You'll be very close by the end of this.

I didn't feel like eating at all during the chemo infusion. One of the drugs, cyclophosphamide, made me nauseous when it first started going in (quite a common reaction they told me) so I always had some dry ginger ale and I felt better after about 10 minutes.

We're all so different! Go cautiously to start with, and you'll soon work out what works for you.

@AllyJay Perfect, my 'breast cancer support group'. Thank you  :*
  • Newby24
    Good afternoon everyone I am getting a little anxious about Wednesday and starting my first chemo. I am going shopping later and just wanted to know what sort of things I need to have on hand at home for my treatment or reactions to my treatments. Is there a list somewhere of what to buy? @kmakm thank you and yes my granddaughter is the most beautiful girl inside and out so I am very lucky to have her in my life.