Hair today...

Sister
Sister Member Posts: 4,960
edited January 2019 in Health and wellbeing
I got my first post-chemo haircut yesterday (as opposed to the No. 1 I gave myself).  I hadn't seen my lovely hairdresser since before this shit began.  I didn't want to tell her what was going on over the phone as she has lost too many close family members over the last couple of years to various cancers.  But she knew as soon as she saw me yesterday that I had had chemo.  There still wasn't enough hair for her to do a lot but now it looks like I've got a short cut rather than being pulled through a hedge backwards.  And she was so nice - even though it took her the better part of an hour, she refused payment.  
Tagged:

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Oh that is so lovely of her! Do you feel better for it? K xox
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    How wonderful of her - and how nice for you, having it long enough to have a cut xx  Do we get a pic?
  • Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    So beautiful of her. Can’t wait for my first cut 😊
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Or the Kurri Kurri N.S.W. mullet festival! 😁
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Sadly, my competitive days are over before they even began.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @Sister nothing like the first post chemo haircut - it’s nice to have a little normality and pampering return xo
  • Sarnicad
    Sarnicad Member Posts: 318
    @Sister that is so lovely by your hairdresser. Amazing how much better you feel when the hair is a bit tidy
  • Josephine66
    Josephine66 Member Posts: 79
    I'm booked in for my first post chemo haircut later this month. Didn't want to cut any but the teenage boy hair do is not working for me. Hate it short but looking forward to having some style.
  • Trussy
    Trussy Member Posts: 16
    I look forward to this day, how long after chemo? I've had my 4th Taxol now i was wondering how long after it starts to grow..?
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Mine started growing after my seventh taxol but it can be either side of that. I am now eleven weeks post chemo and have the look of a ‘boy’ cut.
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Oh sister that’s just so awesome. Enjoy more pampering as time goes on...😘
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    As I idle my time away, sheltering at the mall from 43° and a power outage at home, I've absent mindedly touched the top of my head as I sip my dietician approved iced skinny latte. To find some curls!

My hair is short post chemo and as I like it this way I've had several trims, but I want to get it a bit fuller on top so last time I was at the hairdresser I asked her to leave some length. The texture on top is still really wiry and weird. Could they be chemo curls? My hair was straight before. Not dead straight, a slight wave when long, but not remotely curly. How long does it take for your hair to go back to normal after chemo? Is it different for everybody? Are the changes ever permanent?

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Mine was poker straight pre bc, lamb frizz when it grew back, and now is fairly straight with a slight wave. Apart from my Jewish ringlets in front of each ear which are still violently curly. Who knows? 🙂
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Cool @kmakm !!  (So to speak!!  I hope you've got your power back!)  

Enjoy your curls!   ;) 

Keith's hair went quite curly after his chemo (his was always dead straight!)  I rather liked it - it made him look distinguished!!  It took about 6 months + to go back to straight again!!