Essential Oils

Fightingfit
Fightingfit Member Posts: 5
edited January 2019 in Health and wellbeing
Hi
I am one year post chemo/radiotherapy and now on Tamoxifen and was thinking about using essential oils more regularly. I've heard mixed reports about using certain ones and was wondering if anyone uses oils regularly without any problems with contra-indications with tamoxifen. I have been researching it but can't find anything specific to Tamoxifen. Just trying to get super healthy and getting rid of chemical based cleaners etc but don't want to fork out a lot of money for oils I shouldn't be using!
Tagged:

Comments

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    @primek
    what is that website you refer to about things for natural meds etc 

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I think it's this one: About Herbs, Botanicals & Other Products ...
    https://www.mskcc.org › cancer-care › h...

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    That's it @SoldierCrab @Sister
  • primek
    I've used vinegar, bicarbonate soda and eucalyptus oils for years for cleaning. I do succumb to bam or eqiv for bathroom and sadly bleach because with 3 teenage boys mould is rife as the rooms always damp.
    Vinegar and bicarbonate is fantastic for the oven. The oven racks I soak in the bath with napisan as it cuts through the grease. So better not chocking on all the oven cleaner fumes. Lemon oils are good option too and I know people who swear  by ekoworks products.
  • Fightingfit
    Yes I did look at that but can't find anything specific to Tamoxifen. Just wondering if anyone is into essential oils. Lavender is suppose to interfere with eostrogen levels but I need confirmation.

• primek
    edited January 2019
    Lavender is not recommended for oestrogen positive cancer (not just about tamoxifen) according site....look under "do not take if"....link

https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/herbs/lavender
  • poodlejules
    poodlejules Member Posts: 393
    edited January 2019

I always refer to this list:

Edited by Giovanna
    (website removed, while under review)

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I didn't want to see that lavender one @primek - I love lavender!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Me either  :/
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Geez, the things you find out that you would never even think about.  Luckily I hate lavender then.  Who woulda thought.  You can't even smell stuff these days. I hope Chanel or Sandalwood is not on that list.

I am sick to death of all the maybe's, could do , might be, we don't knows but we'll tell you not to just to cover our arse because we actually have no idea.  They contradicted themselves by telling you to use lavender for chemo brain.  Or is all the oestrogen gone while you have chemo?

Seriously, this stuff scares the crap out of everyone.  You end up not even wanting to go outside incase your breathe something or smell something you shouldn't. Or staying inside might be worse...

The only scientific study I could find on it.  So you can use these while you have chemo but not after ?????? and it was topical application.

A randomized controlled trial of lavender, tea tree oil, and no treatment control in adult patients who received outpatient chemotherapy with paclitaxel reported that trait anxiety and sleep quality improved with lavender; and that tea tree oil led to the highest change in sleep quality. However, changes in anxiety were observed only on the trait anxiety scores, not on the state anxiety scores, which may reflect short term changes associated with an aromatherapy intervention. In addition, there were no significant differences in sleep scores between the two aromatherapy groups and the controls, which the study was designed to detect.[8]

Safety testing on essential oils has shown minimal adverse effects. Several essential oils have been approved for use as food additives and are classified as GRAS (generally recognized as safe) by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration; however, ingestion of large amounts of essential oils is not recommended. In addition, a few cases of contact dermatitis have been reported, mostly in aromatherapists who have had prolonged skin contact with essential oils in the context of aromatherapy massage.[1] Some essential oils (e.g., camphor oil) can cause local irritation; therefore, care should be taken when applying them. Phototoxicity has occurred when essential oils (particularly citrus oils) are applied directly to the skin before sun exposure. One case report also showed airborne contact dermatitis in the context of inhaled aromatherapy without massage.[2] Often, aromatherapy uses undefined mixtures of essential oils without specifying the plant sources. Allergic reactions are sometimes reported, especially after topical administration. As essential oils age, they are often oxidized so the chemical composition changes. Individual psychological associations with odors may result in adverse responses. Repeated exposure to lavender and tea treeoils by topical administration was shown in one study to be associated with reversible prepubertal gynecomastia.[3] The effects appear to have been caused by the purported weak estrogenic and antiandrogenic activities of lavender and tea tree oils. Therefore, avoiding these two essential oils is recommended in patients with estrogen-dependant tumors. However, this is the first published report of this type of adverse effect when using products containing tea tree or lavender oils.
  • Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Oh crap!! I use lavender in a thingamajiggy ( Chemo Brain ) to help me sleep 😫
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Handy topic to revisit from time to time
  • Fightingfit
    Thanks ladies and yes totally agree with you all! I'm sick of worrying about what I can and can't use. Just bought tea tree deodorant! Oops! Have decided to still use the essential oils. Plus when I was in Melbourne for the Field of Women breast cancer convention they gave us all essential oils in our bags! So, that answers that!
  • primek
    edited January 2019
    If you like the smelll use it I say. I would think it would only be large volumes frequently applied directly to skin that "might" cause an increase. 

However the site I linked is a cancer research site ...not just a womens mag. and was to answer a specific question. It's entirely our choice. 
    There are references on the link also. I am not going to read as I dislike the smell of lavender so not remotely an issue for me. Lol