Ex-Med Cancer exercise program trial review

Options
Artferret
Artferret Member Posts: 259
edited April 2018 in Health and wellbeing
Thought I'd give a short review on this trial that i am about to complete tomorrow. 
It is the best thing i have ever done!!
It is a gym program that runs for 3 months tailored to your needs by an exercise physiologist (EP) for any type of cancer at any stage. The main requirement is that you have to have finished chemo and or rads therapy, taking your anti hormone tablets is fine. There are other pre-reqs but i would check out their website for those. Currently they have 5 locations around suburban Melbourne so unfortunately not available to everyone. This is very much dependent on funding. The main aim is to improve the health and well being of cancer survivors through effective and accessible exercise medicine.
We started off with 4 sets of 12 on each gym machine to tone our bodies and ramping it up to 4 sets of 6 by the end which involved greater weights, speed and/or intensity. The session would last for approx an hour more often a bit longer three times a week. There are no more than 10 people in a group so it's manageable for the EP to get around and see everyone in a session. Most of us had had breast cancer and i think the gentleman in our group had bowel cancer. The age range was between 30-60. 
The one big achievement for me has been how it has improved my mental health...big time...apart from having the best looking toned bod out I've ever had! My husband also went through prostate cancer the same time as my breast cancer which looking back messed my head up a fair bit. But now i feel back on track and in control again which is where i want to be. Will I continue? You bet I will. I've already joined a local gym closer to home and will start there next week as well as picking up pilates again which i put on hold whilst doing ex-med as i wasn't sure how my body would take to 4 times a week. I'm glad i did because it would have been too much.
For those who suffer joint/muscle pain stiffness, like me, gym really helped. It doesn't cure it but it does make you more mobile. Even if i felt crap in the morning, I'd go to gym and come out at the end thinking I'm glad i went cos i feel better. 
So for anyone living in the Melbourne area interested in doing this, the next round starts in May so check out their website on
www.exmedcancer.org.au 
for further information or ask one of your medical team about it.
Highly recommended!

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Woo hoo!  Glad to see you enjoyed it!  I am booked for the second term commencing in May 
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    That's impressive @Artferret and @iserbrown!
  • Lmc1310
    Lmc1310 Member Posts: 120
    Options
    Tx for sharing - great to hear you enjoyed it and benefits 
  • iserbrown
    Options
    @kmakm
    How did you enjoy the ex-med program?
  • poodlejules
    poodlejules Member Posts: 393
    Options
    I'm on the wait list . Good to hear you benefited from it.:)
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,577
    Options
    Is it just a Vic initiative?  Anyone know of similar in NSW?
  • iserbrown
    Options
    Victoria based

www.exmedcancer.org.au
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @iserbrown Loved it. Three workouts a week for three months restored much strength, gave me some purpose, and improved my fitness. Marvellous programme.