chemo generations

beccabecca
beccabecca Member Posts: 71
edited January 2019 in General discussion
Hi, just wondering how you know what 'generation' of chemo you have. Eg I had 16 rounds of ACT - 4 AC & 12 T.
I believe this can effect your risk of recurrence. 
Thanks in advance 

Tagged:

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    @beccabecca

Can't say I have heard that but maybe someone can throw some light on the topic. Is this something you were  told?

Take care 
  • beccabecca
    My oncologist won't tell me much, even the % chance of survival with meds compared to without, but I've heard that the generation of chemo makes a difference 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    edited January 2019
    @primek
    @SoldierCrab
    @Jenny_BCNA

Can you offer assistance with this post

Thanks
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    It's 3rd generation based on "predict" information for professionals, I'm guessing this is why you are asking:

Using PREDICT

The model is easy to use following data entry for an individual patient including patient age, tumour size, tumour grade, number of positive nodes, ER status, HER2 status, KI67 status and mode of detection. Survival estimates, with and without adjuvant therapy, are presented in visual and text formats. Treatment benefits for hormone therapy and chemotherapy are calculated by applying relative risk reductions from the Oxford overview to the breast cancer specific mortality. Predicted mortality reductions are available for both second generation (anthracycline-containing, >4 cycles or equivalent) and third generation (taxane-containing) chemotherapy regimens.

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Does 'generation' here mean a time thing, as in age of the type of chemotherapy? A later invented chemo being a later generation?

Geeze I put that badly. It's late. I hope you get what I mean!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I was wondering that, too but it sounds as if maybe it's got to do with the combination of chemo???  Just be aware @beccabecca that the Predict tool apparently doesn't predict well for all BC types.  I know that my onc said I was welcome to look at it but due to ILC being less common, the results would not be an accurate indicator.

I should say that I was on the same regimen as you - AC-T.
  • beccabecca
    @primek      thanks for that. Yes I did look at predict tool, but thought it odd that the way your cancer was detected can affect your possible survival chance outcome, esp as  mammograms give false results. & it doesn't ask for both ER & PR results. 
    Thanks again 
  • beccabecca
    @sister thanks for that, I also had invasive lobular, I did think that the predict tool was a bit vague, didn't allow for type of cancer & also I would think the % growth rate wld matter as well, not just if it's positive or negative. I only looked because my oncologist avoids the question when I ask.
    Thanks 

• kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    @beccabecca,

It's the type of chemo drug used and the density.  ACT is 3rd generation.  There is a bit of a study here if you are interested.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4538915/
  • beccabecca
    @kezmusc  thanks for sharing the link. I'll have a look 😊
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    @beccabecca Yes I agree regarding the screen test etc. My mammogram was negative 5 weeks before a lump felt. Couldn't be seen fue to breast density. Is my survival really different. I doubt it in this case.
  • beccabecca
    @primek      i got the dense breast excuse too & my  tumor was huge! 😄 the other  breast had no cancer so I would of thought they should of looked somewhat different, dense breast tissue or not
  • Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    Hello@beccabecca the chemotherapy generations refer to the changes over time as a result of research and the benefits found with combinations of chemotherapy agents. Treatment is based on individual pathology and a range of other considerations. If you have any questions about your regime and why it is chosen for you it is a very worthwhile discussion to have with your oncologist. The following article talks about the generations of chemotherapy and advances in knowledge over time https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12916-015-0439-8
  • beccabecca
    @Riki_BCNA   thanks for the link. My oncologist doesn't give me answers to questions I've asked. Even when I ask things like what % difference for recurrence is this drug over that, or not taking anything etc. That's why I've had to look for answers myself 
  • Annski
    Annski Member Posts: 112
    @beccabecca it's so frustrating isn't it. At the early stages of diagnosis and treatment I was angry all the time because I believed the medical team so-called was keeping information from me deliberately but I have reached the conclusion they just don't know the answers to our most compelling questions. Everyone chants "everyone is different" but really the random way research gets done in this field means the kind of questions you are asking cannot be accurately answered. BC is one of the most mysterious and complex of diseases. The disconnect between scientific research in the lab, clinical work and epidemiology is profound. Predictive tools have come a long way and will get better but it is still almost impossible to get an estimate of rate of recurrence or time to metastases for different cancer variants at different stages. The models being used are not up to it. But I have stopped being angry and upset, at least it's nothing personal and we are all in the same boat. Warm wishes to you, A.