Travelling with a prosthesis

Hi all,
At the risk of sounding silly......
I am going to Europe in February, and am wondering whether my breast prosthesis (silicone) will set off any alarms or alerts when going through customs, more specifically if I have to go through one of those full body scanner things. Shoould I get a letter from the doctor to explain what it is, just in case?
Also, I had been thinking about changing to a lighter style of prosthesis filled with some kind of granulated material rather than silicone, but I wonder whether that would be even more suspicious looking?
I would be interested in people's experiences 
Thanks
Jane
Tagged:

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Whilst I haven't travelled overseas or with an external prosthesis a Drs letter plus product information that should come with the new prosthesis would be great idea just in case. Most scanners are for metal objects I believe. For my expanders I had product info to carry with me as there was a tiny bit of metal. 
    I'm sure other traveller's will have better info though.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Oh dear Jane. I am a visual person. I just imagined you at the scanner putting your prosthesis in the little tray to go through. Sorry, I’m bad. Maybe I will do that next time I fly just to see their expression. 
    I don’t know the answer to your question but I imagine your BC nurse should know if none of the ladies here can help. Logically I would say it won’t go off, but it was probably designed by a man. (oops, sorry again, to the guys on here)
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Take a letter by all means just in case, but I have travelled a lot overseas In the last six years, on a wide number of airlines, with a prosthesis with no issue whatsoever. I confess I did wonder on my first overseas trip but then again, nothing had happened on domestic flights.  I've also gone through one of the newer, all body scans and no problem with that either. My prosthesis is silicone. Best wishes for your trip, I am planning to head that way in May, can't wait! 
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    @Jane_Elizabeth. Nothing will happen with your silicone implant at an airport. I travelled to the USA with my implants. 
    I worry more about what might happen if I  have a heart attack and they have to use great pressure on my chest 😂. I also think about the explosion they will make when I  am cremated! 
  • Jane_Elizabeth
    Jane_Elizabeth Member Posts: 158
    Wow that escalated quickly! It took me long enough to decide to go to Barcelona, hadn't thought as far as my burial wishes yet!
    Thanks for the advice, I think I will ask the gp for a letter just in case.
    Thanks everyone!
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Topics can go off on a tangent sometimes! 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Are you on any hormone therapy @Jane_Elizabeth? Perhaps  check if you need a letter from your doctor about that.
  • Afraser
    I normally travel with copies of my prescriptions - just in case! 
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    Hi Jane, I don’t have any trouble walking through the airport scanner but I did have an issue once with a full body Xray booth.They just pulled me aside and a woman patted me down! I told her it was an external prosthesis but still got the pat- USA is pretty strict.A letter from my dr may or may not have prevented it.It didn’t really bother me.
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    Hi there @TonyaM...perhaps they are worried about liquid cocaine being injected into false falsies? Drug smugglers have even soaked items such as Incan blankets is condensed concentrations of liquid cocaine, dried them out then sent on to the USA. There the drugs are rinsed out then the liquid dehydrated and...voila...cocaine.
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    You're supposed to take your medications in their original pack (with pharmacy label still attached). I've travelled O/S a lot and have never been challenged re the medications I carry.
  • Afraser
    They pat everyone down in the full body scanners as far as I can see!! USA particularly. One should be particularly careful with medications in original packaging and evidence of approved use (doctor's letter or copy of prescription) in Asia. I wait for the day when I get pulled over and grilled as increasingly I travel with what looks like a small chemist shop, but not so far 🙂. 
  • Kingsmead
    Kingsmead Member Posts: 4
    Just found this thread and I am also interested in knowing what others with a prosthesis have done when travelling  overseas when it comes to comfort. I can only wear mine for a few hours so I’m thinking of getting a comfortable top with built in pockets for a lighter Breast form. Any advice? Cheers
  • Afraser
    Sorry, can't help much - I wear mine all day every day and have no discomfort. Maybe it's the form or maybe the bra? Perhaps a good fitter might help.  Best wishes.