Life after Breast Cancer

2»

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @Josephine66 Living with someone with a serious mental health condition is very difficult at the best of times, let alone when you have breast cancer. Good on you for putting yourself first for a bit. Enjoy the break.
  • kmakm
    @msardea It's a year since I was diagnosed (click on my @ name to read the full story). I completed my active treatment with a double mastectomy and reconstruction at the end of April. I knew this post-treatment time would be difficult and prepared myself as best I could. After a few months of really trying things got worse. So I started to see a psychologist. Then had some difficult genetic news, and Letrozole is kicking my arse! This survivorship shiz is hard, make no mistake.

People tell me it gets better. I do hope so but at the moment I can't see how. But I don't want to feel like this for the rest of my life so I'm working with the psych, trying to work out how to move forward despite the inevitable disasters that life will bring, and striving to accept my diminished life. K xox
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    @kmakm I was just speaking to someone this morning and saying that I find post active treatment harder than chemo. They were a bit taken aback.
  • kmakm
    @Blossom1961 They are both hard, but in different ways. Chemo is at least finite. Survivorship is a piece of string situation...
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Garghhh @Josephine66 ! So nice to know it's all about him. 

When you get home,  please see if the Otis foundation has an available location near you (one of the ladies will put the link up, I'm a smartarse but I can't copy paste on a tablet) Don't take him with you if you think he's going to be a cockwomble.

Time out is really important when you don't know how much time you may have. Mxx

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Cockwomble?  Love it. @Josephine66 it's really hard to manage when your partner is suffering depression - particularly if you have been his support prior to this.  Good in you for insisting on your own space.
  • Josephine66
    Josephine66 Member Posts: 79
    Haha cockwomble indeed @Zoffiel @iserbrown @Sister @kmakm @Blossom1961 @arpie

Thanks for the kind words of support and hugs. 

You'd probably all agree when I say that BC reveals the true character of those around you and how strong they really are.

I think my poor husband is grieving the old me more than I am. He told me yesterday that I've changed. 
    Well that's obvious hey! 

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543

We are constantly evolving but on this BC rollercoaster we have an heightened awareness of self and at times we long for our old self as well as - I am still cranky with Santa for not giving me what I asked for, a day off from pain!!