Still in shock

Jodles
Jodles Member Posts: 16
edited December 2018 in Newly diagnosed
Hi. Yesterday morning I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I’m 35 yrs old. I found the lump 10 days ago and was told the terrible news yesterday. The fine needle biopsy results came back positive for a malignant mass. I have the core biopsy today or tomorrow. I go into hospital on the 8th Jan - type of surgery will depend on core biopsy results. Chemotherapy and radiotherapy to follow after surgery. I have a great support network of family and friends. I’m worried what the future holds for myself, my partner and our 2 young children. I am trying to be positive and hope that it is early stages and I can fight it and win. It’s not the news any woman wishes to hear in her lifetime. 😭
Tagged:

Comments

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @Jodles sorry u are here but the support u get here is amazing - don’t know how I would of gotten through my cancer diagnosis and treatment without this forum. This is the toughest time - thr wairing game to find out exactly what type of cancer u have and what treatment will be. Take care of yourself, vent here and make a list of any questions I can think of. Big hugs xoxox
  • Jodles
    Thanks so much! It’s great to have this support network of people experiencing the same things. Glad we can all help each other through our journeys. The waiting game is terrible but hopefully we can deal with whatever comes our way 💪🏻
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Hi @jodles Hang in there. There is no preparing for the news you have cancer and the feeling of shock and disbelief can be really overwhelming. None of us want to do this, but we muddle through somehow--you will too. Marg XX
  • Jodles
    Thanks for your wisdom. Xxx
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Hi @Jodles.  Welcome to the forum.  So much good advice and support on here.  It is a lifeline. 

Nobody else can quite understand unless you have been there.  

My initial biopsy report came back as "probably metastatic breast cancer".  There is no way anyone can prepare themselves for that news.  As it turned out thankfully it had not spread.
    So the end result was lumpectomy, re excision for clearer margins, chemo, radiation.

It seems like such a long trip at the beginning and the emotional rollercoaster is indescribable.  This is totally normal.

Our brains like to conjure up worst case scenarios at the beginning and that's normal as well.  Distraction is probably the best course of action at the moment.  Keep yourself busy and do some things you enjoy.

Try to concentrate on one step at a time and don't Dr Google too much (we know you will :smile:)  No question here is to small or silly so ask away.

Once you know what you are dealing with and have a plan of action you feel a little more in control.

I have just past my two year anniversary and it all just seems like yesterday.  

You will be ok lovely. Promise.  You'll get it done and we'll be here every step of the way fo you.  
    One step at a time, one day at a time.  

xoxoxoxox
  • Jodles
    Thanks so much! The medical team have been amazing! They are moving things along very quickly. I know I’m in good hands. Staying positive xxx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Welcome @Jodles Sorry that you've had to find us but this forum is a great place for support, info and the odd laugh.
  • Jodles
    Thank you. I’ve read some great information on here xxx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    edited December 2018
    @Jodles

Welcome to the forum! 
    Yeah I know easier said than done, but please try and keep away from Dr Google as it will only do your head in!  The diagnosis for us all is Breast Cancer but from thereon it is very individual.  We're all here to help you through and remember, as mentioned above, no question is ever too silly to ask - there's always someone on the forum any time of day or night that will come on  

The link  below will help you in preparing for what to pack for hospital

https://www.reclaimyourcurves.org.au/information-sheets.html

there's a welcome that our @SoldierCrab has put together which you will find very helpful

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

How to post on the main forum – use this
    link to get to the main forum and begin a new post. https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/post/discussion

Navigating the online community formerly the
    what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/navigating-the-online-community-formerly-the-what-and-how-thread

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey online tool and other resources. 

My Journey Online Tool resources

https://myjourney.org.au/hp/step5

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further
    information or support please call 1800 500 258. BCNA’s helpline will now be open from
    9am-6pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5pm Fridays.  

How to understand your pathology
    reports

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/tests/understanding-your-pathology-report/breast-pathology/breast-cancer-pathology.html

Take care and best wishes

• Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Hi Jodles, welcome to this forum you’re in a safe place here being able to ask any questions you may have.
    There are so many wonderful people here that can help you through this journey I call it a roller coaster ride, as your emotions currently will be up and down which is normal.
    When I was first diagnosed I couldn’t function and BCNA got me through, I can tell you that it gets easier as time goes on, one day at a time. Stay away from google as it’s not always correct.
    Listen to your health team, ask if there is a breast cancer nurse in your local area, they are wonderful.
    I myself was diagnosed with a triple negative breast cancer late October, I have just come home today from hospital after surgery.
    The ladies that you speak with here on this forum have so much knowledge they can share with you, and knowing that you can talk to someone at anytime.
    We are all here for you, some are at your early stages of diagnosis or just had surgery like me, and others are going through treatment and some are telling their stories life after cancer.
    Its great to know that what you’re feeling is normal as we all have been there in the early stages.
    Ask away any questions, and you will find that people will respond to you and help you through this together.
    No question is a silly question 
    Sending cyber hugs your way ❤️

• Jodles
    Thank you. The support on here is amazing! 💖🙏🏻
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    We are all here for you ❤️
  • vickidqld
    vickidqld Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi Jodles I too am very new to breast cancer diagnosis, 28th November. I am 66 and fortunately my lump is too small for my surgeon to feel. I have surgery on the 17th jan with radiation (at this stage until test come back) to begin asap. I wish you well and will be thinking of you and your family. Try and remember that you are young and strong. Look after yourself, be kind to yourself. I have never written on a forum until the other day but this seems like the support will be great in the future. We are very fortunate in this country to have such an amazing medical system with so many dedicated people who save lives every day by being diligent in what they do. Best wishes to you and your family.
  • Jodles
    Thank you and best wishes to you also. We are strong and we have got this! 💪🏻
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    Sorry to see you here, @Jodles - Yes, it is always a big shock when first detected, let alone diagnosed ...... I had my surgery in Mid Jan this year, so am one year 'ahead of you' .... 

What I can say is - you WILL get thru this & we are here to help you do that.   Any question that you have - whack it up - no matter how trivial you may think it is - someone will jump on & reassure your, or suggest ways of dealing with it ....

Try and keep BUSY over Xmas & New Year (the best thing to do!) and then deal with the surgery in Jan!

Take care, thinking of you & the family xxx