Feeling numb triple negative breast cancer

craftyrow
craftyrow Member Posts: 4
Hi everyone i was diagnosed with grade 3 triple negative breast cancer on the 25th October and had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy two days ago.
I'm 53 had my first mammogram and got a call back, from there it was ultrasound and core biopsy then diagnosed. The lump was 21mm very close to my chest wall and they said that without the mammogram i would never have felt it. Its two days since surgery i live in a small country town so had to travel 600kms to Perth for surgery. I thought that after surgery i would feel better than i do but i feel numb and scared at what lies ahead. I go back to see surgeon on the 13th for results of surgery. I am still in shock that this is happening to me how did others deal with this? 

Comments

• kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Welcome @craftyrow

The beginning is the pitts. It is shocking alright.  Like a big bad dream you are sure you're going to wake up from.  Emotions swing from "I got this" to cloudy fog of numbess and tears.  It's all very normal.

Day three post op for me was one of the worst days.  I could not stop crying which is very common after surgery.  Once the results are back they will be able to give you a plan and you will feel somewhat more in control. Hard to believe at the moment I know.

It's the waiting for results and the fear of the unknown that is very scary.  So many unanswered questions at that stage.  Just concentrate on healing lovely.

There is no right or wrong way to get through it.  Most of us just muddle through as best we can until we get through the cloud.

One step at a time, one day at a time.  Sometimes its one hour at a time.  

All the best lovely.  Keep chatting on here.  We all understand how you are feeling.

xoxoxo

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    edited December 2018
    Sorry to see you here, @craftyrow ....but you are in the right place for support and info.  ANY question - just ask away, no matter how trivial you think it may be - and it will be answered by those who've gone ahead of you.

You've done the 'hard yards' .... now it is just the wait for the pathology results - always a difficult time.  Just try to keep busy, doing what you love doing (if you are up to it physically, post op.)    I had a lumpectomy & sentinel node in Jan this year and was driving again not long after (possibly a bit earlier than recommended, but I took it slowly, as we also live away from the hospital - a 4hr drive.) 

Where abouts in WA are you, roughly?  We have a few members there ..... @Annie C lives up at Derby and I know we have others spread throughout WA who may be near you, or be able to pass on info specific to your area.

Just make haste slowly, take one day at a time.  Tears & fears are totally normal, but try not to let them control you just now.  You've done the hard bit - once you get your results, you'll have a plan on what's ahead ....

With your name - are you into doing crafty things yourself?   We have a thread called 'Creative Corner' where everyone puts up what they are working on!!  It is a BIG thread, but some lovely art & crafty things to see.
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14979/creative-corner/p1

All the best for your results xxx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    @craftyrow Welcome.  Others have said the important stuff - one day at a time and don't forget to breathe.  You will get through this.  You've had a hell of a shock and now your body has been knocked around, too.  One of the difficulties with this is that for many of us, we felt well until we were diagnosed.  Come back for any info, support or a laugh.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    hi Craftyrow  sorry you need to be here... I am 6 yrs cancer free had stage 3 TNBC with node involvement. take it one step at a time.... 

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

How to post on the main forum – use this
    link to get to the main forum and begin a new post. https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/post/discussion

Navigating the online community formerly the
    what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/navigating-the-online-community-formerly-the-what-and-how-thread

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey online tool and other resources. 

My Journey Online Tool resources

https://myjourney.org.au/hp/step5

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further
    information or support please call 1800 500 258. BCNA’s helpline will now be open from
    9am-6pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5pm Fridays.  

How to understand your pathology
    reports

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/tests/understanding-your-pathology-report/breast-pathology/breast-cancer-pathology.html
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Hi craftyrow, sorry to see you here but welcome. You will find so much support here.
    Im also a triple negative, mine is also close to my chest wall and I was very fortunate that  my two yearly mammogram picked it up, as I had no lump or any indication it was there, which becomes more of a shock when your told you have breast cancer,my surgery is December 19th for a partial mascectomy. 
    The waiting game really sucks , what you’re feeling is normal, everyone that you talk to on this site will help guide you through the process, take one day at a time.
    We are all thinking of you. 😘
    Sending hugs your way 

• craftyrow
    Thankyou everyone that has replied its good to know i am not going insane. I think this waiting is the worse once i get the results at least i can deal with it. 
    @arpie I live in Denmark WA would love to know if anyone is near me, i do love to craft especially jewellry making and all sorts of papercraft. I love to scrapbook as i think its so important to preserve memories so the past is not forgotten .
    I do have such a supportive husband and two beautiful boys who are all cheering me on so i am very luck in that respect .
    I just feel like a bit of an alien at the moment watching everything happen from the outside and everything looks the same but nothing is the same. I know it will get better so im just taking one day at a time.
  • arpie
    WOW!!  Way down the bottom of WA!!  One day I'll get over there & visit you!   ;)    Show us some of your jewellery & scrapbooking skills!  ;)  

Terrific that your hubby & boys are very supportive of you xx  Just make haste slowly ... I hope you are feeling a tad more comfortable just now ..... 

I am checking with @Annie C  to see if she knows of any other members down your way!  xx

here are some links to programs in WA - you can keep an eye on programs on their websites :
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/19504/ywca-of-perth-encore-program-term-4-2018

Here, I put 'Western Australia' in the search area at the top of the Discussions Page (up the top, next to Categories) 
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/search?Search=western+australia

I know what the 'waiting feeling is like' ...  I've just had a 'call back' for another biopsy after an ultrasound 10 days ago (12 months from my detection & my 10 months from my surgery in Jan), and now have to wait til end of next week or the week before Xmas to get it done (I live rural as well!  :(  )  

All the best xxx   Thinking of you

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Hi @craftyrow. Have you heard of the Otis Foundation? It's a charity where people donate houses for breast cancer affected people to holiday in for free. There aren't many in WA but there is one in Denmark! It would be a bit of a staycation but it could be just the thing at the right moment for you.

I don't know what the bookings are like, you usually have to book in well ahead of time, but here's the link if you'd like to check it out. Of course if you fancy an interstate trip you can choose any property you like!

https://www.otisfoundation.org.au/directory/36/eden-hollow

Look after yourself. Big hug, K xox
  • craftyrow
    Thankyou all so much for messaging me i really appreciate it so much, one day i am hoping i can be in the right head space to help someone else. 
    We go to Perth tomorrow ready for my appointment to get the results from the surgery biopsies. I am hoping like others have said that once i get a treatment plan in place i feel more settled and positive.
    Thankyou once again for your support xx
  • Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Thinking of you @craftyrow xx
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Safe travels craftyrow and know we have your back as you go into your appointment for results and the way forward into your treatment plan. 

• arpie
    All the best for your results tomorrow - then you'll have a good idea on what will be happening over the next few months & be able to work out a plan 

Take care xx
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Ooh, I love Denmark! We went there on our first visit to WA and then made sure it was on the list for our trip sround Australia. Absolutely beautiful place. Soak up all that beauty and serenity around you, breathe in that lovely air and relax. Once the tests and treatment starts it is definitely a whirlwind so use this time for you. Big snuggle hug.
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Good luck @craftyrow for your results. xx