New diagnosis

2»

Comments

• crafty
    crafty Member Posts: 17
    so glad the power held out for you and you could enjoy the sanity of air con. God I hate the wet season, we lived in Mackay only for a year, I hated the humidity.
    I have sewing room envy! Yours sounds wonderful
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @crafty
    Oh how I can relate to the wet season love / hate relationship.

When newcomers ask how long have I been here I usually reply
    "Oh this will be my  25th wet season - I only came for 12 weeks!"

When the newcomers say that I must like it, my reply is always "Ask me in March!".

However the  lonely months I spent in Perth (2,300kms from home) between July and October last year for treatment cured me of any desire of moving south.  My feet are firmly planted in Kimberley soil.

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @Annie C Oh good!
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    We stayed in Darwin for eight months and my favourite time was the build up. The night light shows were absolutely spectacular and worth the outside discomfort. Especially when the air con was working!
  • Annie C
    @Blossom1961
    Although I complain (just a little bit) about the wet season humidity I wouldn't miss the "build up". 

The heavy air, the smell of the parched earth after the first few drops of rain, the lightening as it dances across the late afternoon sky, the purply grey colour of the clouds and then finally the torrential downpours. It is magic. I would love everyone to experience a wet season.

I do however appreciate air conditioning and the retirement income sufficient to run the air conditioner 24 hours a day during the wet season. 
  • Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    Hello Crafty - I have always done crafts and was knitting at 5yrs old, crocheting at 10. I made all my own clothes until we began to import cheaper items, I did a few years of doll making, corn dolly weaving, tapestry, embroidery and made a few quilts over the years. Now I do very little - fatigue is very real. I'm glad I kept a photo diary of many of my projects as I get a lot of pleasure from the memories evoked. It doesn't worry me that I'm a crafty 'non-event' - it is as it is and at the end of the day I relish the day - sorry of that sounds a bit weird. Like you I had a fairly demanding job, I'm a retired academic. I had four years in New York as a consultant and on return was diagnosed HER2 +. Welcome home! That was seven years ago and I have had ongoing Herceptin and HT for seven years. I read somewhere, 'Life will never be the same after diagnosis'. For me that has rung very true. This forum will enhance your resilience, its a very safe place to express whatever needs to be said - there are no judgements and there's a deep recognition that we must all cope (or not) in our own way.
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    @Annie C and @Blossom1961  Has been hot here in North Queensland but had big lightening show last night was beautiful.  I know what you mean about that real heaviness in the air. This morning went outside and smelt that sweet smell you get from some of the trees flowering on the river bank.  Reminds me of my years in Arnhemland and that sweet sickly smell of the pandanus fruit.  (I loved that smell)  xox
  • Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    @Annie C I will never forget Derby thunderstorms!! They literally roll in! Stunning but scary. The first time I saw & heard one, my son & I hid under the table
  • Annie C
    @Doodoo
    There's one rolling in right now. Thunder, lightening and rain p*ssing down.

About to lose tv reception.

And yes, even after 25 years,   I still duck for cover when there is thunder and lightening. 

The bit I like, clear skies one minute, then 5 minutes later a full on storm.

Can you remember what street you lived in during your time in Derby?

• Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Yes, exactly! Clear one minute then boom!! I was terrified but loved it. Weird...
    No, I have absolutely no idea what street we lived in, but then I can barely remember anything these days 😳