Digestion Issues Post Chemo

kitkatb
kitkatb Member Posts: 442
edited December 2018 in General discussion
Hi everyone, just looking for some advice on how to naturally deal with digestion problems.  I have been taking Somac since this whole palaver of BC started but stopped about 5 weeks ago.  I find I am still going back to it at least 3 or 4 times a week again.  A lot of burping and a little bloating and the last couple of days a bit of nausea.   I'm not walking as too hot up here at the moment but on my exercise bike 25 minutes a day, I don't eat for a few hours before bed.  I also consider myself on a reasonably healthy diet.  No coffee , No alcohol. Plenty of salads in this weather. Eating natural yoghurt, drinking peppermint and green tea.  Should I be taking vitamins or some form of suppliments. GGRRrrrrr  this just keeps giving.  Almost forgot was put on Femara  5 weeks ago even though I am only
 1% hormone positive so basically told I am triple negative.  Has this contributed to my digestion problems.  Any advice appreciated. 

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I suffered a lot with digestive issues during chemo which continued well after.  I was on Ativan for nausea which worked really well (but does make you drowsy) and Somac for reflux but that stopped working after a while so I switched to Nexium (20mg).  I found that what I could tolerate changed throughout chemo but pasta worked well for the whole treatment.  I also drank a lot of sparkling mineral water.  I could tolerate hot water, but cold water just seemed to sit in my stomach.  I also found hot milk to be settling.
  • kitkatb
    Thanks @Sister I am also beginning to notice Somac is not working like it used to as well, will swap to Nexium although it worries me being on all of these med's all the time.  I was on sparkling water but went off it I might just start taking again that's a great idea.
    How long before your digestive problems improved.
     Katie xo
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Perhaps work on your gut health? A glass of kombucha everyday and a shot of kefir might help. Kimchi and sauerkraut too. Worth a try.
  • kitkatb
    Thanks @kmakm   will check out my local shops.  Have been using as much apple cider vinegar as salad dressing as well.
  • kitkatb
    @kmakm  Would love to try the kefir.   Where do you get it from Kate.  Also I have never been a milk drinker ( literally gag on the stuff )  But love the natural yoghurt.  Could I mix kefir with say banana to make a smoothy.
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Best thing for upset tummies: pickled ginger but not the pink one (food colouring). You can get it at Japanese food shops. 
    My oncologist told me not to drink kombucha because of the sediment or SCOBY. She was worried about infection.
  • kitkatb
    Thanks @Patti J   That's interesting about what your Onc told you re scoby.  ( have to admit just googled before what Kombucha is made from and saw a pic of the Scoby  )   Mmmm  shouldn't have looked doesn't look the most pleasant. Thanks for your suggestion re pickled ginger.  :) 
  • kitkatb
    Thanks for all your awesome suggestions ladies.   :)
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    My gut took forever to settle down. On chemo I had nexium twice a day plus needed zantac in between. (Dissolvable ones are best...script only) It has settled but even 2 years on I need nexium daily.
    I have since had a scope and have been diagnosed with a small hernia and barretts oesophagus...which is cell changes from reflux! So I now don't try to do without but feel it's better to take the medication. I've also been diagnosed as completely lactose intolerant now. So knowing that has helped.

Things that helped me.
    Taking a proton pump inhibitor daily (such as nexium)
    Avoiding really high fat foods like pastries (sausage rolls ...although rarely  eaten are a killer)
    Not too many wheat products (no idea why but possibly as they sit in your gut longer ...tested fir intolerances and no issue)
    Watching highly acidic foods...some fruits like pineapple etc. I can eat them now but for twelve months I couldn't have strawberries, kiwi, pineapple, capsicum without severe burning. 

Hope  things improve for you soon. 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    @primek I too have a small hiatus hernia and am unable to tolerate wheat well however I can eat a true sourdough. Something about how my body digests it more easily. I can also handle spelt flour for the same reason. I am not too good with dairy protein but can handle the lactose.
  • kmakm
    @kitkatb Kombucha is available in the shops, pretty much everywhere in Melbourne anyway! I like the Remedy brand but there are so many, you just have to keep trying them until you find the ones you like. I have been drinking them for years now and have never had an infection. I always notice an improvement in my gut situation when I drink it regularly.

A few weeks ago I did a fermentation worshop and am now making my own kombucha, scoby and all!

I'm also making my own kefir. I was very suss on it at first, because I'd only tried one from the supermarket once and I hadn't liked it. But the homemade one is gooooood! I like to put a pinch of cinnamon and a bit of honey in it. I can see no reason why you couldn't add it to banana to make a smoothie!

So kefir, same as kombucha, keep trying until you find one you like. You could try health food shops too.
  • Patti J
    @kmakm. I think with the kombucha it is because of my medication which leaves me very prone to infection. Palbociclib lowers your neutrophils as do many chemotherapy medications. 

• kmakm
    @Patti J Best to be careful then.
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    Whilst I was having chemo, I was told to avoid foods which pregnant mothers are told to avoid. Foods such as soft cheeses, deli meats and salads, soft eggs and so on. Basically avoid foods which may be contaminated by salmonella or listeria.
  • Patti J
    OMG. Am I  alone in this? The only things I  take are my prescribed medications and some supplements. No pain killers, no stomach medication, no sleeping pills, no pills to make me go to the toilet, no pills to stop me from going to the toilet!!!???