Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Good news again

Amy
Amy Member Posts: 233
edited September 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer

I went to see my oncologist last Tuesday and am very happy to report that my tumour markers are down again.  Hurray! 

Now, I have to organise another operation!  This time to get my ovaries removed.  Yes, I've decided to go ahead with it.  Not looking forward to another hospital visit but at least it would mean no more monthly zoladex injections.

Tagged:

Comments

• Samantha Cunnington
    Samantha Cunnington Member Posts: 235
    edited March 2015

woohoo..way to go!!!..Hope ovary removal all goes well and u can then enjoy not having to take zoladex :)

Good luck

Sam

• Samantha Cunnington
    Samantha Cunnington Member Posts: 235
    edited March 2015

woohoo..way to go!!!..Hope ovary removal all goes well and u can then enjoy not having to take zoladex :)

Good luck

Sam

• Jrova
    Jrova Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2015
    That's great news! I had my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed in January and I'm happy to tell you that it was an easy operation with a quick recovery. Good luck!
    xx Jane
  • Samhutto
    Samhutto Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015
    Hi girls,
    Congratulations Amy on your great news...I am sure you are over the moon! I saw a genetic counsellor on Friday in order to get the BRACA gene tests (I have no family history but I'm young-37 and my mum was adopted so we have no history on her side) and started the conversation about ovary removal. Can I ask are you girls having the surgery because you have the BRACA gene or because your breast cancer was hormone positive? I have finished having kids and am on tamoxifen, but my periods have never been more regular than they are on this bloody drug that I thought was meant to be hormone blocking!?
    I'd love any info you girls have to offer.
    Love sam. Xo
  • melissa
    melissa Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015

Hi I have oestrogen positive advanced breast cancer to the bones ( I am doing well) I am considering the removal of the ovaries so I am interested to know what the recovery time is and the post op symptoms are.

thanks,

Melissa

• Amy
    Amy Member Posts: 233
    edited March 2015

Hi Sam

I'm going to have the op done because I'm hormone positive.  I guess I'll know more about it all once I've seen the surgeon.

Amy x

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015

Hi Amy

I am so glad to hear that you have had good results.  I hope that the ovary surgery goes well.

Amanda xx

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015

Hi Amy -- That is great news! Good luck for your upcoming surgery and make sure you keep us up to date :-)

Cheers, Daina

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015

Hi Amy -- That is great news! Good luck for your upcoming surgery and make sure you keep us up to date :-)

Cheers, Daina

• Jrova
    edited March 2015
    I had my ovaries out because I've had estrogen positive primary tumours twice (2002 & 2011). The first time I was 34 and my periods never stopped through chemo or 5 years of tamoxifen. I then started getting uterine polyps from my high estrogen levels and anemia from heavy periods. When I got a new breast cancer in 2011 that was over 80% estrogen receptive, my oncologist recommended the ovary removal. The surgeon said they were very robust and healthy looking! I've had genetic testing also but do not have the bc genes. I'm now 44 and on Femara. xx Jane
  • Jrova
    edited March 2015
    I had my ovaries and my Fallopian tubes out with laparoscopic surgery. Only three small cuts and one night in hospital. I had soreness for a couple of weeks but it was fine. Symptoms afterwards have been mild hot flushes and needing to use lubricant for the first time ever! (sorry, hope that wasn't too much information!) All in all, I'm glad I had it done. It's great to not need contraception any more either! xx Jane
  • Jrova
    edited March 2015
    Hi again Sam. I'm getting my other boob off too. I'm doing whatever I can to avoid going through treatment a third time! My breast surgeon saw me last week and is sending me to the plastic surgeon in May because they will be performing the breast removal and double recon together. You don't take HRT because that's just putting estrogen back in your system. I'm taking calcium and vitamin d, and eating a healthy diet and exercising. xx Jane
  • Samhutto
    Samhutto Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015
    Hi Girls,
    Thanks for all your info. I have been very lucky in that my breast cancer had not spread to my lymph system but after my mastectomy they did find 2 more smaller tumours (5 & 6 mm) that didn't show in my mammogram or MRI, and they were her2+ which was different to my bigger tumour (9mm) that was her2- so the genetics dr said they may have been 2 seperate primary cancers. Which isn't very heart-warming. So I will definitly be discussing the ovary removal as a precaution whilst I wait for my BRACA gene results. My grandmother (adopted) had bowel cancer in her 50's & they removed most of her bowel & she lived with a colostomy but she never got any secondary cancer & lived a full life till she was 91. So I too will be happy to go that bit further if it means it may help me avoid secondary cancer.
    I hope you get some helpful info from your surgeon Amy and I'll let you know what i find out tomorrow. But sounds like from Jane that it's a pretty easy surgery as far as recovery.
    Goodluck.
    Love Sam xo
  • Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015

Congratulations on the good results, Amy. :)

• traxx65
    traxx65 Member Posts: 252
    edited March 2015

HI Amy,

Congratulations on your good results. All the best with the surgery.  My onc and I have sort of discussed it but I am going to be 47 this year and seem to be right  on the edge of the decision. 

Take care.

Tracey xx