Terrified of what lies ahead!

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    Bugger @CathyMac  .... All the best with the next meetings .... thinking of you xx

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Sorry to hear that news Cathy, I am sure you will pick yourself up and dust yourself off tomorrow .... If needed I have a large infinite supply of Big Girl panties for anyone on here needing them... myself included at times. 

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    It does often seem to be the way.  All the best @CathyMac
  • LIttleBlueWren
    LIttleBlueWren Member Posts: 88
    Sorry to hear that @CathyMac. All the best with the next round of appointments.
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Not good news, @CathyMac - mine ended up being 12 cm whereas the ultrasounds & biopsies had indicated 8-9 cm. Make sure you get all information available on all options and decide what you want. Wish you strength. 
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Last thing you wanted to hear @CathyMac ,  Sadly it seems often the case. With me they picked up high level DCIS in my MRI which changed my treatment plan from just the initial tumour.  Initially I was like you in the fact that you get in your head this is what's going to happen and then all of a sudden the best laid plans go flying out the proverbial window.  Now I just feel blessed they found everything that needed to be found sooner instead of BC rearing its bloody ugly head further down the track sometime.  
    You'll get through this and pick yourself up for sure. As @SoldierCrab mentioned there seems to bit plenty of spare Big Girl Knickers on this forum if you need them. Lol.  All the best and big hugs to you. xox
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Oh bugger @CathyMac. this thing is hard enough to get your head around without things changing. 

Maybe we should have MRI done as standard in the initial screenings so we know what we are dealing with straight up instead of planning for one thing and then finding out it's something else
    Thinking of you lovely.

xoxoxox
  • kitkatb
    That's so true @kezmusc .  Don't understand why they don't make it standard in initial screening.    I had my lumpectomy then re excision then my MRI  which decided I then needed mastectomy.  
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @kitkatb Money is why they don't. Plus my BS said they show up so much that you can end up going down a rabbit hole of endless tests and worries about things that may never happen...

I don't know. I still long for the peace of mind an MRI could represent. But I accept that I'm not going to get one.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    @CathyMac just for you 

• Tracey2800
    Tracey2800 Member Posts: 32
    I’m sorry to hear your news @CathyMac. Cancer really sucks :(
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Why can't you get one @kmakm.  They weren't going to send me for one at my first years check up until I jumped up and down a bit.

I don't trust the mammogram on its own one little iota. Even with the ultra sound they couldn't pick it up. They couldn't even hit the sucker with the first core biopsy with ultra sound guidance!
     My BS showed me the images and explained why it was so hard to fine.  It just looked like a couple of little tiny sparkly bits in the background.  

If I didn't find that lump under my arm, which could only be felt if I lay in a certain position and was pure fluke that night. If I had just  gone for a routine mammogram it would have come back with the all clear for goodness knows how many years. Quite possibly they wouldn't have bothered with the MRI if I had opted for the mastectomy.  It really should be done with all lumpectomies I believe.  Would save a lot of unnessary returning to theatre, anaesthetic risks and heartbreak.

Money is definitely a factor.  They average about $600 (not sure if the hospitals get a discount or not) a pop.  I have paid for two but  thankfully our hospital has changed it's policy and will now cover the cost of MRI for follow up if refered from the surgical outpatients clinic. 

Yes they are notorious for picking up lots of things but sensitivity is what we are after I guess.
    If the mammogram and or ultra sounds can see it already it's going to give a more accurate idea of the size of the thing surely.

• kitkatb
    That's interesting Kate although can't say it surprises me.  @kmakm  Do you see yourself asking for an MRI each year or will just stay with the Mam and US.  It worries me as I'm sure it does others that should we be getting other scans such as bone and brain scans as well. I know my mother got secondary BC in the brain.  But your BS was right to some degree we would end up consistently chasing our tails.  Besides the cost involved.  katiexox
  • kitkatb
    Yes  @kezmusc  I also would feel safer having one each year for peace of mind.  xox

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    It’s a tricky one .... I’d like to have an MRI so I have a picture of what I am like right NOW ... so that further down the track, there is ‘a known something’ to compare it with!

As with @kezmusc - mine wasn’t picked up by MG or US .... only biopsy (after my very good GP found it by accident!)   3D MGs are supposed to be the bees knees ... but I still have my doubts for those with dense breast tissue!  I am wondering if the money saved from NOT having the MG should go towards the MRI?  I know what I’d prefer!!

I reckon it would STILL be a cheaper option than having to go back for more surgery and give us some sort of peace of mind - for both our mental and physical wellbeing!  

It should also detect stuff WAY earlier (not only BC) hopefully before it gets a foothold and hopefully at a less serious stage if they DO find something!

A girlfriend who had BC some 15 years ago also had thyroid problems 3 years back and had half removed.  The other half became enlarge 18 months ago and it was whilst checking scans for her thyroid re possible surgery that they discovered she had early stage lung cancer. (She was sure that this was caused by the radiation to her breast as the lesion was immediately under her targeted spot!).  She had successful surgery for the lung, but the thyroid is still a problem. But they say she’d need a tracheotomy if surgery went ahead re the thyroid and she doesn’t want that ... as she kayak fishes and if she fell in, could drown with that hole in her throat!  :(  She is taking her chances with the thyroid.