New diagnosis - Jen029

Jen029
Jen029 Member Posts: 21
edited November 2018 in Newly diagnosed
I was diagnosed on 1st November, had surgery last week and have just been to the surgeon today for pathology results. Triple negative and ki67 of 80%, fortunately lymph nodes are clear as are CT and bone scans. Will be needing chemo and radiation therapy. It has been a very overwhelming couple of weeks. Will be trying to get back to work at some stage soon and would love to hear from anyone else who is working whilst having treatment.

Comments

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Hi, and welcome to a place where none of us think we'll end up. It's all a whirlwind at the start, but it sounds like you're well on the way to a plan.

We're all different in how we react to chemo, and there are a number of different combinations. A lot will depend on what you have, and how you react. You really won't know until you start.

I did manage to work 3 days a week through chemo, working Monday,  Wednesday & Friday. I had a very supportive workplace, and was able to take breaks for a rest if I needed. They also arranged a work laptop so I could work from home if I couldn't come in.

It's worth looking in to whether you have income protection with your superannuation,  as this may prove helpful, although there are lots of conditions around its use, @Sister & @melclarity may be able to help with that. 

I'm sure @SoldierCrab will also be along to help with some useful tips for navigating the forum. 

You will find lots of support here, we also have a few good laughs at times, along the way

Take care
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    edited November 2018

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

Navigating the online community
    formerly the what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/navigating-the-online-community-formerly-the-what-and-how-thread

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey online tool and other
    resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further
    information or support please call 1800 500 258. BCNA’s helpline will now be open from
    9am-6pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5pm Fridays.  

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Welcome @Jen029 Not good to be here but at least you've found us.  You'll find lot's of info, advice and a bit of a laugh at times (just when you need it).

Regards working, it depends what you do and how flexible your employer is able to be (sometimes the best workplace is unable to accommodate our needs).  I found that I was unable to work until treatment was complete and I took 10 months off.  Others have had no issue with working, often part-time.  It's hard to predict how you will cope until it's happening.  But if you can, be kind to yourself.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,950
    Dear @Jen029, I agree with comments above; return/continue working may depend on your unique reactions to chemo and radiation therapy; and also what kind of work and workplace you have. My reactions to chemo, and location of radiotherapy meant working was not a goer for me during treatment. I started a new, full-time job 6 months after treatment ended. 

Best wishes for your treatment and recovery and work options from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Hey @Jen029 I had 3 weekly sessions of TC chemo for 4 cycles and managed to work for most of it. Luckily I had a very supportive work place and managed to work for most of it. I would get chemo on a Monday, work Tuesday and Wednesday and then be off to the following Tuesday or Wednesday depending on how I felt and then I would work in between. Everyone is different in how they handle it and some people say they couldn’t of worked. U just need to listen to your body and work when you are able. U will get to know how chemo will affect u but remember it is cumulative so the last cycles can be tougher xoxoxo
  • Jen029
    Thank you, it has been a couple of very challenging weeks so I am still trying to get my head around everything. My workplace has been very good so far and it is work I do enjoy so I am just hoping I can carry on in some way.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Jen029 also look at the income support component of your super @Sister
     might have more info for you on that 
    I couldnt work I was a mess physically and mentally. 

• Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Hi Jen029, I have recently been diagnosed with a triple negative KI 67 of 66% , lymph nodes clear. I’m here anytime you want to talk, we can have this journey together.
    sending cyber hugs xx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I worked through 4 rounds of A/C, 12 of Taxol and 12 months of Herceptin. No radiation. Reactions to chemo are very variable. I was entirely free of nausea and fatigue which made a big difference. I took a day off every 3 weeks for A/C but just a morning for Taxol, day oncology and work were geographically close. Working helped me stay relatively 'normal' but I could not have done it if my side effects had been different. Colleagues were great. Best wishes
  • Jen029
    Everything is moving along, I had an appointment with the radiation oncologist early in the week and will see the medical oncologist on Monday so will have more of an idea on treatment after that. I have been back at work this week trying to catch up with everything and help prepare them for me not being there full time, it is a quite a small business and I have been the only one doing most of the office work.  @Shellshocked2018_thanks for your cyber hugs and I am sending some your way too.
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Anytime you want to talk just message me. It’s a journey we can all take together 
  • Jen029
    Just to add a new level to everything that has been happening, my sister has been hospitalised with some mental health issues. No visitors allowed including immediate family. This has come out of nowhere and with chemo starting on Wednesday has raised the stress levels another notch. This is not how I had seen the year ending.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I'm so sorry @Jen029. It's a very difficult time for you. Look afte yourself and try to do some stress busting activities. Big hug, K xox
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    So sorry to hear that, @Jen029  - hoping your sister gets the treatment she needs and that you continue recuperating well

Take care xxxx