Spreading awareness/fundraising

Laurenkate21
Laurenkate21 Member Posts: 4
Just wanted to say hi to everyone 👋🏻
I'm 33 and was diagnosed with breast cancer in June this year. I have 3 more chemos to go and will start radiation in January. 

I am really keen to do some fundraising or get  involved spreading awareness some how but not sure where to start and how to go about it? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thank you,

Lauren 

Comments

• Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    Hello Laurenkate21 and welcome. I hope you are managing the chemotherapy ok and please dont hesitate to contact BCNA if you need any information or support along the way. Thank you for expressing your interest in fundraising or being involved in advocacy initiatives. There are a range of ways when you are ready, to be involved in fundraising or advocacy with BCNA for example, such as being a community liasion or community representative of BCNA or holding an event such as a morning tea. You will find some information under the news and events section on the homepage bcna.org.au for some ideas. If you would like to explore potential ideas of interest to you please call the Helpline on 1800 500 258. Best wishes.
  • Wonk
    Wonk Member Posts: 61
    Hi @Laurenkate21
    You are going through so much yourself and it is so amazing that you are thinking of how to help others at this time. You truly have a beautiful heart 💖.
    From my very recent experience of being diagnosed I am shocked at how many women do not keep up to date with mammogram screenings which are provided free of charge and usually conveniently located.
    I am in the target group aged 50 - 74.
    Since my diagnosis I have found out my sister in law is a year overdue for hers (and she is a nurse) and my 57 year old friend has NEVER had one done. So many friends in the last two weeks have asked me how they can help me. I tell them the best thing you can do for me is to ensure your screening is up to date. 
    @Laurenkate21 if you want to pursue raising awareness try and talk to mother’s groups at high schools. This is where you will find the mums at the early end of the screening spectrum. These are the mums that do have these services offered to them. I think they would be quite shocked to meet someone of your age going through this. I’m so sorry you’ve found yourself here but I think you can make a big difference.  All the very best with your treatment and your quest. Take care xxxx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Check out @JJ70 with her "can do" campaign.  While I think that fundraising is great (and certainly wouldn't want to suggest you don't do it), I think spreading the word about getting checked is really important.  I have noticed a lot of anti-mammogram stuff appearing on my facebook feed and we know how this rubbish gets traction.
  • JJ70
    JJ70 Member Posts: 983
    Thanks @SoldierCrab . Here is the link!  If you want to support the campaign, here are 4 easy things you can do: 
    a) LIKE and SHARE the page to raise awareness in the general community that mammography is FREE from 40.
    b) LIKE and SHARE the PINNED POST that describes our mission statements
    c) Message me on the page and I can send you campaign cards to pin up and spread around your local area.
    d) If you are a BC warrior diagnosed anywhere between late 30's and early 50's then your story can help strengthen the campaign. Message me if you are interested and I can provide further information.
    https://www.facebook.com/Can40Do45/

We are also on Instagram #CANAT40.DOAT45.
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Hi @JJ70. 16 years ago, when I  was 47, I  was diagnosed with DCIS. You could see the tumour through my skin. I have never had a free mammogram. 
    I now have mets.
  • JJ70
    @Patti J. Would you like to share your story with the campaign? Your story abd ones like it are so relevant and vital for change.  <3
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Yes @JJ70. I would be willing to do that. Just let me know what you need me to do
  • JJ70
    Are you on Facebook @Patti J?
    If so type @Can40Do45 into the FB search bar and have a look at the page, particularly the pinned post at the top of the page.
    You cam message me here on the forum with your email address and I can send you the info that way.