Feeling very overwhelmed

Kate62
Kate62 Member Posts: 6
edited October 2018 in Newly diagnosed
Hi everyone I have been reading some of your comments and feel the support.  I was diagnosed the end of September and it has been a whirlwind since I had a lumpectomy and removal of some lymph nodes last Tuesday 23rd October and got my result back 30th went to the appointment expecting to be told when I needed to start radiation to be sat back on my butt with the news that I needed to have mastectomy of my left breast due to the margins not being good, so today is my op to lose my breast I cried most of yesterday and I’m trying to hold it together as I wait for 11:15am to make my way to the hospital

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    I got very angry when I found my results required more surgery. I burned off steam in a 10km walk. I almost didn't make it home as I was still recovering from the first surgery. I went in to hospital for the second op full of fear and trepidation as the first op had made me very sick but it was a completely different scenario the second time. My surgeon instead of stern and cranky was jovial and they even allowed my husband in for  support in pre-op. I came out of surgery, not sick as a dog this time.
    Hoping it all goes great for you too. <3
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Oh Kate I'm so sorry to hear that. It really is a shit of a thing this breast cancer. So many of us find more than the mammograms and ultrasounds ever show, myself included. My tumour turned out to be twice the size the mammogram showed. I had a wide local excision, a re-excision for margins, and in the end (months later after chemo) a double mastectomy and reconstruction.

The only thing I can say is at this stage focus on the end result, which is a body free of cancer. Mastectomies tend not to be too painful so put that worry out of your head. Are you thinking about reconstruction?

Take some deep breaths, they help calm the nervous system. And if you want to, tell us a little more about yourself, and your diagnosis.

Hang in there fellow Kate. K xox
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

Oh Kate, my heart goes out to you. We all hope we will manage to get through this with the minimum of treatment, but it just doesn't always work out that way. It's fine to cry, in fact it is healthy. We are designed to cry under conditions like yours so if you want to bawl your eyes out, do it. You will eventually run out of snot and stop. Ask for a sedative if you want one when you get to the hospital so you aren't sitting around stressing.

Good luck. It's horrible but it can be done. Marg xx

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Gosh, @Kate62  - you've been thru the mill and some - all the best for your surgery today.  

Let the tears flow - we've all been there 

Make haste slowly afterwards .... I hope you have good friends & family surrounding you with love & support, doing everything they can for you as you recuperate afterwards.  xxx

• Kate62
    Thank you everyone it is a comfort to be able to talk with others on a similar journey. 
  • Thinking of you @Kate62. I hope everything goes well with your operation. I had the same experience 4 years ago and that time between being told that the margins weren’t good and that I’d need a mastectomy, was the most difficult time in the whole experience of getting cancer. It was devastating, but it got better.

The mastectomy wasn’t as painful as I expected. I recovered and went on to have reconstruction. At that time I focused on doing something nice each day and just took it hour by hour sometimes. Be kind to yourself. It’s a hard time, but we understand what you’re going through and it will get better. Crying is ok too. I couldn’t count the times I’ve cried along the road to recovery. Take care xx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    @kate62 I hope you are feeling a little better today as you start on the road to recovery
    Take care and best wishes
  • Kate62
    Thank you I’m feeling much better now the operation is over with, the thought of the op was worst than the op. I don’t have much pain and I’m just trying to stay very positive the staff at the PA hospital have been amazing
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    @Kate62 - I started off with partial and expectation of only needing rads only to be told that the tumour was twice the size expected with no clear margins and in the nodes.  So I know what it feels like to get that news and have to go back for the mastectomy and axillary dissection.  That was at Christmas and I'm out the other side of chemo and rads.  Not what you want to do but you can do it.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    It  just heightens the fear having to go back again. So glad you are through surgery and that feeling of it finally  being gone is such a relief. Healing thoughts coming your way. Kath x
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Hi @Sweetpetal,  Welcome to the forum lovely.  Sorry about your diagnosis.  Stinks to say the least right?
    You might want to start your own discussion and tell us a bit about yourself.  That way we can answer any questions you have without them getting lost in another thread.
    xoxox
  • Sweetpetal
    Sweetpetal Member Posts: 29
    Sorry
  • dougal
    dougal Member Posts: 19
    Hi @Sweetpetal, I feel for you, I really do. I was diagnosed in July, no symptoms, no lump I could feel, first mammogram ever. I had right side mastectomy, not having reconstruction, going through chemo now. It is so daunting and scary and I cried so much at the beginning, still do when it hits you like a ton of bricks, what your going through, but honestly you can get through this, don't read too much on the internet, it just confuses you and so much information that contradicts itself, take each day at a time and go outside, take deep breaths and just look at the nature all around us, it will calm you. It's ok to be angry at the world to , you feel like your the only one going through this and nobody understands, at least that's how I felt, but I'm learning to accept my diagnosis and in some ways it was a wake up call to slow me down and stop getting so stressed about every little thing. Thinking of you and wishing you loads of luck on your journey.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @Sweetpetal Nothing to be sorry about! It takes a while to get the hang of a new website.

We've all been where you are now. We get it and understand. If you're comfortable with it, tell us a little about yourself, whereabouts you are in Oz, how you got diagnosed, where you're up to in the process. @kezmusc's suggestion of starting a new discussion is a good one as there are lots of conversations going on here!

Hang in there. You're in the worst bit right now, you will feel better once your treatment gets going. Big hug, K xox
  • CathyMac
    CathyMac Member Posts: 65
    @Sweetpetal, I'm sorry your here too! I was diagnosed on Thursday and totally understand your fear. Big hugs and much love. Let me know if you'd like to chat.