Terrified of what lies ahead!

Comments

• CathyMac
    CathyMac Member Posts: 65
    edited November 2018
    Here is my gorgeous 18 year old son in pink. 
  • CathyMac
    Oops. I have not figured out how to attach a photo. I'll keep trying.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    hi Cathy, 
    I see you have lots of good advice from others.... 

I will tell you I was diagnosed at 52 single mum with 3 teens at home (2 with autism) 
    I am now 6yrs since diagnosis and cancer FREE. 
    Was it hard yes  it was but we pulled together as a family unit and with help from friends we got through it. 

CANTEEN  have some great resources for your Teenagers. 

I suggest that Breathe, be honest with your Teens and you will find they will step up in the course of this Roller Coaster ride. 

Soldiercrab 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Right back at you @CathyMac. I'll take all the love I can get! And yes, pink suit to Formal? AWESOME! K xox
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Hello @CathyMac
    Welcome to the online forum.  Sorry to hear of your breast cancer diagnosis.  You have been provided with some wonderful information and support from our online community members.  I have attached a link below which explains how to post photos, looking forward to seeing one soon!
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/comment/84335#Comment_84335
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Don't underestimate the support your kids can give you.  Mine were 15, 12 & 11 when I was diagnosed last year.  I had the week to see Christmas concerts and my daughter's primary school graduation and the following week was in hospital having the first surgery - home for Christmas Day and reliant on the kids to cook Chrissy dinner.  They've had wobbles during the year (as have I) but they've been brilliant. 
  • kmakm
    Same for me. Each in their own way. Amazing.
  • CathyMac
    I'm sitting at work today trying to pull a job application together. I was acting in a role for 18 months and it was finally advertised 1 hour after my cancer diagnosis last week. My ability to focus on things like this is out the window,
    I finally have a little bit of clarity around what will happen. I am having full pelvis, abdo and chest scans next Tuesday and then nuclear medicine bone scan and my appointment with my surgeon is on the 23rd November. Time seems to be going so slowly now and I'm having lots of trouble keeping the anxiety that i am feeling at bay. Feeling absolutely exhausted by it all. Thanks for listening
  • BroniD
    BroniD Member Posts: 12
    I'm feeling the same, the waiting seems to be the hard part. I'm hoping to have my pathology results back in a day or two so we can then plan. I'm also at work but my mind can't focus. I'll be thinking of you x
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    @CathyMac  - so sorry to see you here & to read of the upheavals your diagnosis has caused to your travel plans ..... my lumps were found this time last year tho i wasn't actually diagnosed until early January - and I just kept myself as busy as I could doing things I loved most (kayak fishing & ukulele playing - I lead the local group) and it worked a treat.  One of my uke ladies is coming with me next week to Port Macq for my 12 month ultrasound/mammogram (90 mins from where I live, being rural.)

There has already  been some brilliant advice imparted above - and if you aren't able to get someone to go to appointments with you & take notes - just ask if you can record the appointment on your phone - as it really IS difficult to remember everything that was said.

Do you have private Health Cover?  That can often get the surgery done earlier - but ask about the Gap Fees ..... they can be savage (i.e. not covered by Private Health Cover.)  Many go Public & don't have much of a wait either - tho I went private for the surgery cos it wanted it done 'then & there' but public for the radiation, as I'd calmed down by then.  LOL   If I had to choose again, I think I would go public.

Save your trip for after your active treatment ...... I had booked a holiday to Norfolk Island that was just after I'd finished my radiation treatment as my 'Pat on the head - You've done it' Reward - and I loved it.

All the best with the scans next week .... you'll have a better 'treatment plan' after you see the surgeon .... 

I used to love visiting Canberra as I had a very good buddy living there, but now she is down the south coast, so got an excuse to go down there now!!

take care, deep breaths, keep doing what you love doing - just keep busy.  You can do this - and if you have ANY question at all (no matter how silly you may think it) just whack it up here & it will be answered by those who have gone before you xxx  
  • kmakm
    @CathyMac Adorable!
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    edited November 2018
    WHat a GORGEOUS pic @CathyMac ... what a spunk!!

Make sure you get some lovely pics with him on the night!!  ;) 
  • Mjheke
    Mjheke Member Posts: 78
    That’s awesome. You must be proud!  <3
  • j9k
    j9k Member Posts: 98
    Very Robert Redford @CathyMac. A wonderful milestone to celebrate. 🙂 💜