Travel insurance after Lumpectomy

Life
Life Member Posts: 14
edited October 2018 in General discussion
Hello all , I went through a lumpectomy 10mths ago followed by Radiation treatment (stage1). Wanting to fly to the states next year but don’t know weather do declare to the travel insurance companies anything ? One quote jumped to $1500 for my family. It’s not if I get sick over there it’s incase of a reoccurrence & I need to cancel before we go. Has anyone traveled after ?? Who did you use ?? 

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    There are a few threads on travel insurance, worth looking at. Covermore (and others) will cover you if you are 6 months post active treatment (hormonal tablets don't count). Good luck.
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Hi @Life, I have just returned from Europe & declared my cancer to Covermore. They were great, I just had to answer some extra questions. My treatment finished last year. I can't remember the cost but it certainly wasn't 1500.00. There were 3 of us!
  • Stork
    Stork Member Posts: 121
    Hi@Life just returned from a 6 week holiday to Asia my travel Insurance was with Medibank Private I am a member 
    I was asked 3 questions about my cancer, they offered travel insurance with the Breast Cancer included for $375.00
    Regards Stork 

• Life
    Thanks Glemmis,& Stork , I will call covermore after the weekend. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    edited October 2018
    I went to Norfolk Island just weeks after finishing Rads .... it was fine with Covermore.

any insurance company saying anything else is in an “Aids”  time warp!!  ;)   (I don’t mean to offend!). Just my observation from reading some of the others’ fine print!

• Life
    Yes was actually very surprised how backwards the insurance companies are regarding some illnesses.
    It’s not like I’ll be overseas & then discover my breast cancer has come back & need medical attention overseas. 
  • Life
    Thank you ladies , from my Travel agents quote of $1500, Covermore did it for $850, Breast Cancer declared ! 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    All the More to spend whilst you are away!!  ;)  Enjoy @Life

• bronmeg1
    bronmeg1 Member Posts: 23
    Has anyone gotten travel insurance for metastatic breast cancer recently?  I've done the online search with covermore & no luck.  I went overseas a couple of years ago & used another insurance company after declaring my met disease (lungs), but now have bone cancer too, so need someone who will not only cover cancellation if tests come back negative (for me :( ) but also if a fall causes a fracture.  All suggestions welcome.  
  • Life
    Sorry to hear you’re having such a bad run. I tried covermore online & wasn’t having luck so I ended up calling them & spoke to someone. Much more able to get excactly watch you need if you speak to someone. Good luck. Wishing you all the best. 
  • bronmeg1
    bronmeg1 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks @Life.  Enjoy your holiday to the states