What book are you reading?

Sister
Sister Member Posts: 4,960
edited October 2018 in Day to day
I know there was a discussion a few months ago about what people are reading at the moment but I can't find it so I'm starting a new one!

I read lots of good books (and some not so good ones) but I just finished one that was fast-paced, an easy read, a bit quirky AND the main protagonist was a not quite young woman!  "It's All Fun and Games Until Someone Loses an Eye" is by a Scots author, Chris Brookmyre and can best be described as "The Long Kiss Goodnight" meets "Shirley Valentine" (I know the medium is different but the imagery works).
Tagged:

Comments

• Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    I have just finished 2 of Peter Watts, "The Moon Burns" and "While Fire Falls".  I am attempting to get hold of a third book in the series,
    "Beneath A Rising Sun". 

They are historical fiction set in Australia during  WW2 and follow the entwined lives of 2 families.
    Definitely in the 'can't put down category.

• Jane_Elizabeth
    Jane_Elizabeth Member Posts: 158
    I have just finished "A man called Ove". Makes me see grumpy old men in a different light.....
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    It's a lovely film too....
  • Mantis
    Mantis Member Posts: 61
    I’ve just started Heather Hawkins’ Adventurous Spirit. Fantastic read so far.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    I’m reading Juror No. 3 by James Patterson. Just finished The Flight Attendant by Chris Bohjalian. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    I've been reading some Di Morrissy novels - but am having a break by reading Jimmy Barnes' life story "Working Class Boy''!  What an eye opener THAT is!!  And it's not 'that long ago' either - that both areas in Scotland and Aussie were in total poverty!  

Well worth a read if you can grab a copy from the library!
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Who reads online ? books ? 

• Sister
    I have read online but much prefer the paper experience.  Interestingly, a lot of research is showing that when it comes to leisure reading, adolescents and young adults are moving back to paper books in a big way.  It has been shown to be a much more immersive process than reading from a screen.  That's not to say that ebooks don't have their place.
  • LITHGOW1950
    LITHGOW1950 Member Posts: 314
    Great idea to suggest good reads. I’ve stared reading books by Michael Robotham. 
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    I love actual books - very comforting and I love opening a new book. Could never read from a screen. 
  • arpie
    I want to try Peter Watts books @Annie C ...  beneath the rising sun sounds great.  

I remember a Di Morrissey one with similar name, ser in Darwin during the war.  It would make a terrific movie!

I agree with @Sister .... I’ve tried reading ebooks .... even Uke books .... and hate them.

i much prefer paper.  ;)

• Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    I fall asleep while reading so I am not game to try ebooks. I think I would break a great many devices by dropping them when I nod off. A paper book is more forgiving. 

@arpie I agree the Di  Morrissey book set in Darwin ( the title escapes me)  would make a good movie. The truth was stretched a little bit.

I remember when my husband and I went to the movies in Perth some years ago and saw "Australia", we howled with laughter when the hero and heroine were crossing the Pentecost River on the Gibb River Road driving back to Darwin - only thing was they were going the wrong way and were heading for  Derby! We were the only one's who picked up the mistake! We nearly pissed ourselves laughing.

• arpie
    edited October 2018
    Haha, I recall thinking the story was a little bit stretched!  ;)  But still a good yarn.   @Annie C

Haha ... I howled with laughter watching Australia too ..... apart from showing heaps of very scenic shots, it seemed very embarrassing to me .... and the acting (very over the top) almost seemed to fit the exaggerated storyline LOL xx
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Tbh spending a lot of time online reading international and national news on twitter lately as much happening but need to back off a bit as starting to get me down. Will try your suggestion @Sister . I too highly recommend Jimmy Barnes “ Working class boy” esp first few chapters as is a story we all need to know - not easy to read but important.
  • Sister
    @romla - You'll get it from the public library  :)

As for the "Australia" movie, I have never managed to watch more than about 15 minutes of it - too cringeworthy.