Invasion of the body snatcher

Mimsy68
Mimsy68 Member Posts: 6
So all week I have been taking neurofen to dull a persistently throbbing tooth. In my heart of hearts I know I have to make a dentist appointment. But you know what? I was diagnosed end April, double mastectomy a fortnight later, reconstruction 3 weeks ago. Amidst all that I had root canal and a tooth extraction. And I’m over it. I’m over being poked and prodded and jabbed with needles. I’m over everybody else having charge of my body (even though I know it’s for my own good!). It took me a while to realise why I was stalling, but that’s it, I just want to be the only person taking care of me for a while. I know it’s irrational, and on Monday I will make the appointment...but in the meantime I’ll pop the pills and just “be”. Just venting - anyone else felt the same?
Tagged:

Comments

• Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @Mimsy68
    I too am fed up of being poked, prodded and pricked. I would just like to get off the breast cancer treadmill and have a "normal" life.

Take care and warm Kimberley wishes to you.

Annie
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Yes definitely felt like that. So sick of all the appointments and just want to be left alone. :#
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @LMK74 I get it. I'm looking forward to having nipples but the thought of a fourth anaesthetic in less than twelve months, and all the poking and prodding that goes with it, turns my stomach. My fipples can wait until next year...
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Totally get it.  I had to go to the dentist about 3 or 4 weeks ago as I had broken a tooth and filling.  My dentist is the gentlest man but was so damn hard to make the appointment and go.  
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Yes...the part that bites!
  • Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    I'm going in for my mastectomy + DIEP a week from now and the thought of giving over my bodily control and decision making capability for days on end sets me on edge almost as much as the thought of the surgery itself.
    So over it since starting treatment in March.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    I hate the dentist at the best of times and my dentist is the most gentle end patient man. I have sensitive teeth so have to get numbed before I can even have a clean and I make him use numbing cream. I used to have a needle phobia but then started donating plasma so got much better with blood tests etc and that is the biggest needle in the world. Post cancer the needle phobia is back though after endless catheter insertions and after my surgery I also now have drain phobia  :(
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Oh my gosh, @Mimsy68  - you've been thru the mill & back!!   I am surprised they did the root canal during your active treatment, to be honest, as the chance of infection would be increased, I reckon!  :(  

Coming from a family of dentists (father, brother, uncle, grandfather, godfather .....) I STILL HATE GOING TO THE DENTIST!  I used to cry when my dad gave me injections - and go rigid when being given one, even now (as I can't stand NOT having my gum numbed for drilling!) ..... I've always had the worst teeth in my whole family (I think it goes back to me being born 3 months premmie - the tooth lining may not have been developed enough?)  So I've always had a mouth full of fillings.  :(  

However - I would suggest you definitely see your dentist (or at least your GP) - as you could well have an infection in the root canal & be in serious need of antibiotics.  :(  
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    I so get this. I hate going to the dentist but even if I loved going I would hate it at the moment. I too am sick of the poking and prodding. I too want control of what is happening. I too want to punch the next person who hurts me unnecessarily. Just writing this post makes me want to cry over what I no longer have control over. Sometimes I want to shout at the medical person "I am me!"
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    @Vangirl I started my treatment mid May and am having my mastectomy/anxiallary clearance in November. I am already so over the pain pushed upon me I am blocking the operation out. I realise this isn't healthy but just at the moment I don't care.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @Blossom1961 My heart goes out to you, it really is a wretched disease. Bloody awful. Hang in there and I hope the next few weeks go swiftly. K xox
  • Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    @Blossom1961 I blocked out the fact of the surgery for as long as I possibly could. I feel like it was the only way to get through all the other treatments. I don't know if there is anything wrong with crossing that bridge when you come to it.

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Blocking it out is fine. Deal with it on the day, getting all twisted about it now just wastes time that could be better spent doing just about anything else. Mxx