New diagnosis, have had mastectomy

Comments

• Shellbelle_75
    Shellbelle_75 Member Posts: 65
    Thankyou @Suzi_S61 
    its not ideal to be diagnosed only being in a relationship with someone 12 months and then have a mastectomy,but it’s never a good time for any of us in this situation :(
    Thanks for the info re the port I will look into it
    I also send you lots strength and healing and wellness in your journey as we all kick this crap to the kerb!!!
    Let’s keep in touch :) thanks heaps lovely x

• TeePee
    TeePee Member Posts: 31
    A quick update - I saw a physio on Weds, my arm isn't as good as I thought it would be and still really painful. The cause is a large cord running from my wrist up to my shoulder. Had some very painful massage and new exercises. My daughter is massaging it twice a day (ouch!) and while it still hurts the movement in my arm and shoulder is muuuuchhh better.

Also had the genetic counselling and gene test on Friday. The chat with the counsellor was quite interesting, though the results will take a fair while.
  • TeePee
    Oh, I also have a small seroma just under my armpit. Hoping it resolves naturally.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Cording can be really painful.  Mine flared badly at the end of chemo and ended up down to the wrist.  I had laser therapy and massage and the exercises to do.  Make sure that you're seeing a qualified oncology physio.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    I had a small amount of cording post surgery and the massage was very painful!!
  • TeePee
    Cording has improved heaps with massage and exercises, my 16 year old daughter has been my at home physio.

I start chemo tomorrow - dose dense AC every 2 weeks for 4 sessions.  Have no idea what to expect really but haven't really dwelled on it too much, what will be will be! Hoping my side effects aren't too bad as we have a really busy school term and I'm a single Mum so I don't really have any one else to rely on (I have lots of friends and family around to help but not the same as a partner).

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    You'll find out as you go along @teepee.  Don't be scared to ask your kids for help around the house - they are capable of more than you think!  And if friends and family ask if they can help, give them practical things they can do - whether it's ferrying kids around or cooking a meal.  People are happy to help but if they don't know what it is you need, the help may not be in the form that is really necessary.  Maybe draw up a list of things that you can suggest as it is difficult to come up with things on the fly.  One of my (single, childless) friends dropped everything to drive miles, pick up my youngest and take her across town to a state sports event while I was in chemo.  Another looked after my kids when needed while I was in surgery or having chemo.  That was probably the biggest thing for me - you can't drive when you can barely stand up straight and the meds make you drowsy.  So, I would suggest looking at your calendar for the term and seeing who is likely to be available (if necessary) to do the taxiing, or to have the kids at short notice.  On the other hand, you may cruise through and not need any help at all.  By the way, online ordering for groceries is a lifesaver!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @TeePee There are apps that are apparently fantastic for organising help in these situations. Might be useful for you this term. K xox
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    All the best with your treatment, @TeePee  - we'll be thinking of you xx

That is great that the cording has improved with the help of your lovely daughter.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 79
    edited October 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TeePee
    Thanks @joannie what's HITH?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    a great Calendar and shopping app is COZI  free 

• TeePee
    Thanks @Joannie, silly me, I had HITH too, but haven't spoken to any social workers or in fact looked into any assistance from the relevant organisations. I think I've felt so busy with tests, appts etc plus looking after 3 kids I haven't had time. Must get on to it.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Good luck for your first chemo today @TeePee