Hello

Options
Noelsa63
Noelsa63 Member Posts: 2
Hello, what a great group this is. I’ve been reading posts since my her2 positive diagnosis and thought it was time to join in. I’m recently diagnosed and I will be having chemo every 3 weeks for six months, followed by radiation and then I’ve opted for a double mastectomy with reconstruction. I’m not cranky, just scared, sad and emotional. My Mum had breast cancer 12 years ago at 68 and was lucky enough to only need a lumpectomy and 6 weeks of radiation (still unfair for my Mum, and my Mum having this disease made me cranky), but she is still with us and is now 81. I’m day 10 after my first chemo round and had a head shave on day 5, I’m unable to control what is happening to my body but I can control my hair loss. My thoughts on why I have been given this dreadful disease is that I’m a strong fighting woman with a great husband, family and support network and I will beat it and hopefully it’s saved another woman that’s not as strong as me from going through it. Have a great day 😊

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Welcome @Noelsa63. It's a bitch, isn't it? But you've come to the right place!  You'll find a lot of support, advice and a few laughs here!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Good on you for joining, I hope you find it as helpful as I have. All the best. K xox
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Hey @Noelsa63,

Welcome to the forum.  Lots of pearls of wisdom from some awesome people on here. Good on you for the positive outlook and kudos to your mum. 
    xoxoxo
  • Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
    Options
    Hi @Noelsa63 and welcome. I'm now 6yrs on from my diagnosis (which included a HER2+ tumour), and despite the long road through treatment (mastectomy/chemo/herceptin/rads/tamoxifen and reconstruction), I just want you to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and admire your positive outlook.

Like you, my mum was diagnosed with breast cancer about 12yrs before I was. She had a lumpectomy and radiation and has not had an issue since - she's just turned 79yrs.

We are lucky that treatment is improving constantly and that so many of us are still here years down the track. Best wishes, Jane xx
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    welcome @Noelsa63
    sorry you have need to join the forum but we are a great bunch of women and men who support each other and share our experiences good and bad we vent we cry we laugh and through it all we care. 

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

Navigating the online community
    formerly the what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/navigating-the-online-community-formerly-the-what-and-how-thread

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other
    resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further
    information or support please call 1800 500 258. BCNA’s helpline will now be open from
    9am-6pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5pm Fridays.  

How to understand your pathology reports

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/tests/understanding-your-pathology-report/breast-pathology/breast-cancer-pathology.html
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,574
    Options
    Hi @Noelsa63  - welcome to the forum (sort of ....)   Yep, you are in the right spot!  ;)

ANY question you think of - ask - one of the lovely ladies here will reply with supportive, easy to understand answers/suggestions that we hope will help you.
     All the best xx

• Fletch
    Fletch Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Hi @Noelsa63 , any time of the day or night there is someone online here. You are not alone.
    Best wishes, xx :)