Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Trying to stay calm

Julez9
Julez9 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2010 in Metastatic breast cancer

Hello Ladies.

My name is Julie and I live on the Sunny Coast Q.L.D.   I was diagnosed 3.5 years ago with metastatic breast cancer, stage 4. I felt that my world had come to an end.

I had a total hysterectomy and straight into menopause, which I didn't find too bad. I met my beautiful oncologist, who put me onto Femara tablets, which held it at bay for 2.5 years. I then went on to Tamoxifin 12 months ago. My markers were coming down...great.

I have been in hospital 5 times in last 12 months with faecal impactment. My last visit to the hospital 2 weeks ago put me through many tests.    long story short...........

I am going to have chemotherapy, for the first time ... on Tuesday. I have beautiful family and friends helping me through this. I got my long hair cut off, to my shoulders just yesterday, to get ready for losing my hair totally. BUT...it's only hair!

I am a very positive, spiritual person which I think has helped me. 3 more sleeps and I am going to blast the little buggers away. Once a week for 12 weeks.

Just wanted to get this off my chest, I suppose. Many sincere blessings to all the beautiful women out there who are in the same boat

Toodles Julez xxx

Comments

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Great that you are able to get it off your chest and there is no better place to do just that.

Chemo is daunting because everyone responds differently to it. But it is also very doable. I found the first one the worst, mainly because you do not know what to expect. Once the first is out of the way, I had a "bring it on" attitude. It helps to think of it as liquid gold blasting away those nasty buggers!!

Great that you have had your hair cut short in preparation, I got my husband to buzz my hair off, in a strange kind of way it felt like I was taking back some control!! There are some great wigs and hats available now and I had fun experimenting with different wigs.

After your first chemo, take your meds, drink plenty of fluids, rest and listen to your body.

Take care of yourself and let all those wonderful friends and family look after you.

Best of luck.

Tanya xx
  • Tanya
    edited March 2015
    Great that you are able to get it off your chest and there is no better place to do just that.

Chemo is daunting because everyone responds differently to it. But it is also very doable. I found the first one the worst, mainly because you do not know what to expect. Once the first is out of the way, I had a "bring it on" attitude. It helps to think of it as liquid gold blasting away those nasty buggers!!

Great that you have had your hair cut short in preparation, I got my husband to buzz my hair off, in a strange kind of way it felt like I was taking back some control!! There are some great wigs and hats available now and I had fun experimenting with different wigs.

After your first chemo, take your meds, drink plenty of fluids, rest and listen to your body.

Take care of yourself and let all those wonderful friends and family look after you.

Best of luck.

Tanya xx
  • Jo.L.
    Jo.L. Member Posts: 89
    edited March 2015
    Take Care and as Tanys said sometimes the thought of chemo is worse than the chemo! My tip is for a satin pillow case so your head doesnt stick to the cotton ones, reduces friction and discomfort with hair loss! I needed a sleeping beanie cause its cold in Vic but maybe not necessary in QLD> Keep us posted! Jo :)
  • Tanya
    edited March 2015
    Hi Julez

Just checking in with you to see how your first chemo went?

Drink plenty of fluids and get some rest. I do hope you are tolerating it well and your family are spoiling you.

Let us know how you are.

Hugs

Tanya