Points and promotions

Zoffiel
Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
edited August 2018 in General discussion

I'm curious about something that has just come up on the activity page. What on earth does the 'promote' business mean? I can't see it mentioned on the what /how thread. One of my posts shows as promoted and I have no idea why, how, to what or by whom.

The other question is what are the 'points' shown on our profiles? The figure doesn't seem to be tied to anything I can figure out.

None of this is important, I'm sure, but I have wondered about those functions in the past.

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I have fleetingly wondered about that myself.
  • Sister
    I just commented on this but it's disappeared. 

And I'm seeing someone else's messages in my activity page @Giovanna_BCNA @Rosie_BCNA ?
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Ditto
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Me too 
  • Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    Yup, me too.
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Hello @Zoffiel, @Sister, @kezmusc, @Kiwi Angel, @Vangirl
    Thank you for alerting me to this.  I have sent a message to our developers regarding this issue as I have been receiving the same messages also.  Will be in touch asap
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Hello everyone,
    I have been in contact with our developers as something weird is going on with some of the posts  and have been reassured that this in no way poses a security or other risk to the forums.   Please bear with us as we get this issue resolved.  
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Hello everyone,

I have had a few messages from members concerned about some of the unusual email messages regarding points and promotions that they are receiving.  Please ignore these messages.  I have been in contact with Vanilla our developers and have been reassured that the system has not been compromised.  There was an upgrade to our system which has caused some issues and we are working on this presently.  Dont let this stop you from using the online network over the weekend.  

kind regards
    Giovanna
  • Sister
    Thanks @Giovanna_BCNA It appears to be sorted, now.
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Thank you @Giovanna_BCNA
    Good to get a quick response as it was weird and a bit concerning.  The strange messages have disappeared.
    Summer   :)
  • Zoffiel
    The creepy promotions thing is still happening on the activity page. 'Promoted to level 1' come on @BCNA I'm not concerned I'm being hacked and there are currently 6 guests on the site at I'm-still-awake-o'clock so there should be no secrets here. WHAT DOES IT MEAN? It's a function built into the site and it's nuts to think a couple of thousand people who have navigated the whole BC shitfight can be fobbed off by 'we will talk to the developers' humph. The thing that fascinates me is my 'promoted' post is very pedestrian, could you not have chosen one that got me reported? I don't want to be remembered as being mainstream
  • Sister
    edited August 2018
    Your right @zoffiel but I didn't see you being promoted - this is what I saw: 
    LittleCroftBLSTunde and Mich1 were promoted to Level 1.
    I don't know if these are users of this forum (maybe from awhile ago?) as I don't recall ever seeing the names before.
  • Zoffiel
    No, it wasn't me this time, but I'd still like to know what it means :)
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    I still have lots of weird stuff showing too - people promoted and conversations between people that I haven’t read but they are either “parts” of discussions or inbox messages that aren’t mine. 
  • Zoffiel
    I think some people are having conversations in the activity area, that could be deliberate or accidental and the recent round of promotions seem to be new members. Dunno,