DCIS

rd69
rd69 Member Posts: 3 New Member
Hello
i was diagnosed with DCIS after a mammogram I had at David Jones came up with something unusual. I had a biopsy, ultrasound and ultimately a lumpectomy last Thursday. I have a couple of questions that I need help with please.
i was ordered a bra from the BCNA but it never arrived by post before my op and I wasn't allowed to leave hospital without one so the hospital improvised and gave me an elastic cloth-type thing to use as a boob tube until my non-underwire bra comes in the mail.
i was wondering do I wear it to bed? No one told me before I left hospital when to wear and not wear it.
Also, how do I not get my dressing wet when I shower? They are right on the sides of my breasts near my underarm. Nobody told me how to get around this.
Also, I have a bit of pain in my left breast. Can I take panadol for,this?
i am seeing the breast nurses next Wednesday.
Thanking you in advance. This is all new to me.

Comments

• tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    Hey @rd69 Sorry you find yourself here but you will find the ladies here helpful & full of kindness.
    My story is very similar to yours, I found the Berlei bra supplied by BCNA to be  not quite right straight after the op.
    I had brought some $10 soft bras from Best 'n less (like sports bra) used them and another soft type bra from Target .
    Yes I wore them at night as it seemed to hold everything together so to speak !! and I think this was recommended by the breast care nurse .Yes I was told to use panadol for pain relief ,the dressings that  I had were waterproof but I tried not to get them too wet . 4 days later water seeped in and I replaced them with dressing that the local nurse had given me ,she visited the day after I came home .Call the breast care nurse before wed if your unsure of anything .
    Good luck xxx
  • rd69
    Thank you very much Tigerbeth. You've been a great help.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    With a lumpectomy you could probably purchase some cheaper aah type bras and put them on by stepping in and pulling up. And I'd wear to bed as it stops the dragging.

Depending on position you might be able to use the half size gladwrap and wrap around your chest then just try to keep top part showering to minimum and use flanel etc for that region.  I only had tape over mine which could get wet but if padding yes to keeping dry. Do you have phone number for the breast care nurse so you could call and clarify anything Monday. A shallow bath and flanel to top might be an option too.

And yes...to panadol. If this isnt enough a GP or ED can organise a script for panadeine.  I can't believe nothing was discussed with you prior leaving. This is very poor discharge planning. I had an information sheet at least. Hope things go smoothly for you. Kath x
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Welcome to this forum @rd69 Did the hospital tell you why you had to wear a bra? I hardly wore one after the lumpectomies or the mastectomy ops because they were so uncomfortable no matter what type.  As for washing, I didn't shower for quite a while afterwards but washed in a shallow bath as it was far easier to keep the water from getting where it shouldn't be. And I can't imagine why you shouldn't take Panadol but you can ring the hospital to check.  
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Everything @tigerbeth said! I wore the bra at night after my wide local excision & re-excision. Panadol is fine, as is something a little stronger, and I had waterproof dressings. If you don't, it's a pits n bits wash for you at the basin! Hang in there, K xox
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    @rd69 I forgot to say I brought the soft bras a few sizes larger than normal so they weren't too tight , they were perfect .

• rd69
    Thank you all for your responses and help. I bought a wireless bra yesterday and also some waterproof dressing and panadol. Hopefully this will tide me over until I see the nurses on Wed. Hopefully everything will be good then. Lots of good wishes to all of you from me.