Night Howls

Options

Comments

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    I’ve only been on tamoxifen for a month so I’m hoping it sorts itself out in the next couple of months otherwise I can understand how people can’t work as much and I can’t take a sleeping tablet every night..
  • JJ70
    JJ70 Member Posts: 983
    Options
    @Sister - have you tried Melatonin? Script from GP can get you 2mg doses. Pls do check with GP, but you can easily go online and get 10mg timed release variety from US. Takes a couple of weeks to arrive. My onco recommended these. First damn useful thing she's recommended.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I have tried it during chemo. It helped a bit - I'm going to try again after radiation.
  • Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    Options
    Hi @JJ70 did you have to go to a compounding chemist for the melatonin? Was it costly? I have a script on hand from the oncologist but have been loath to traipse across town to get it filled and spend a fortune. I tried taking it to the regular pharmacy but they said it has to be specially made/compounded.
  • JJ70
    JJ70 Member Posts: 983
    Options
    Hi @Vangirl ordered them online from BIOVEA - USA
  • Vangirl
    Options
    Thanks @JJ70
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Vangirl I got my 2mg melatonin on prescription at my regular pharmacy. I think it was round $35 for a month's supply. My GP has recommended I try it for three months to re-establish good sleep. K xox
  • Vangirl
    Options
    Thanks @kmakm. I think my script is for 1mg. I might look into getting it online. This cancer business ain't cheap, even when you're a public povvo patient!
  • Sister
    Options
    Yes you should just be able to go to the regular pharmacy but it is between $35-$40 for 30 days.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Options
    So tired so went to sleep at 8.45 last night and then wide awake at 12-45am - f**k that!!  Managed to hunker down and have a very broken sleep but I was feeling quite achy and feverish last night so might be fighting a bug too. Sleeping tablet night tonight - woo hoo  ;). Will be off to the doctor today or tomorrow to get a melatonin script. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Hope you are feeling better soon, @Kiwi Angel

Isn't this 'not sleeping shit' a pain in the arse?   I've had a couple of crap nights recently, just 'continually dozing - but no sleep' so then when you DO have a good one - it is BLISSFUL!!

I've tried the Melatonin tabs but they didn't work for me ...... however, trying to 'reset' you OWN Melatonin levels may also help too!!  

So basically, the theory is - you DON'T look at bright screens at night before going to bed (cos you brain thinks it is the sun coming up!!)  

In the morning, when you DO get up - go to a window that has the sun shining on it &  look out towards the bright light for a few seconds, look away, look at the bright light, look away - do that a few times every morning.  It resets your body clock  ..... supposedly!
  • Kiwi Angel
    Options
    @arpie not sleeping is the pits!!  The tv is normally going in our room at night but I have just been trying to focus in reading before bed. I can get to sleep no problem, just about fall asleep on my book, just can’t stay asleep. I’m looking forward to my sleeping tablet tonight and hopefully I can get a script for some tablets and hope they work for me. 
  • Sister
    Options
    Glad I'm not out walking this morning.  Bloody idiots driving too fast and using our road as a rat-run.  My husband's just had a callout that a car has hit a cow on our road.  Cow's are a little more solid than roos so I do hope the driver is okay.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Options
    Poor cow!!  

I love sleeping tablet Thursday - best sleep all week and off to get a melatonin script today. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    OMG!!  If they were hooning when they hit the car @Sister they should pay the farmer compensation, assuming the cow was killed!  :(  

My thoughts exactly, @Kiwi Angel  .... Poor Cow!    Glad you had a good sleep!!  Mine was 'better' .... but still woke up about 10 times .....