Exercise

Ulli
Ulli Member Posts: 4
edited August 2018 in Health and wellbeing
hello all, 
i started my 5 week course of radiation for breast cancer yesterday, and would like to try and continue my regular walking program during this time if it’s possible. I’d like to hear of others experiences of fatigue, and what it might be realistic to expect to be able to do.
I’m also have a small problem finding the right bra to wear for walking- I have had breast conserving surgery, and thus have one breast smaller then the other, and don’t want the wound site on my affected breast to rub when walking.... I wondered about using the wool sold to prevent blisters in my bra ..... sounds a bit funny, but I have tried soft muslin and it still rubs...  but I would love to hear from others about how they have managed this....thank you, and I wish you all well on your individual journeys. 
Ulli

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I found it very difficult after surgery, too. I used the soft non-adhesive wound dressings tucked in and around the bra.  My lovely GP gave me a wad of them.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Hey @Ulli,

I had breast conserving surgery as well.  I am not sure how long it is since you had yours, but as I had chemo as well there was 8 months between surgery and radiation.  Even though there was still up and down swelling I was back into a normal bra by then.  I just poked a bit of tissue or gauze between the wire and me when it started getting a bit sore. Cotton wool can stick a bit if it starts to get weepy.

You might try one of the ones with no wire that open at the front or I found the little crop top ones from Best and Less pretty good.  They even held up riding my horse so should be fine for walking.

I had 6 weeks of radiation and had no problem with fatigue throughout.  I had very little burning until mid way through week 5. Get on to the Moo Goo udder cream if you haven't already.  Moisturize moisturize moisturize.  

All the best lovely.
    xoxoxo
  • Ulli
    Thank you both..... much appreciated!
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    @joeyliz is a Rads technician. She maybe able to suggest something 
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    I had breast conserving surgery followed by 16 rounds of radiotherapy and walk daily for one hour as well as gentle exercise class twice weekly.

The week after radiotherapy I started exercise class and found myself engulfed with fatigue the first week - needing a lengthynap after class.But thereafter all was fine.

I purchased a Target post op  front opening bras for after surgery which I found good during radiotherapy but they did get very discoloured due to all the creaming during/after radiotherapy.I threw them out eventually as a friend bought me my first ah bra which I found great - first I had felt comfortable in months. I still wear them today and are great out walking - no seams to rub and good control.

Ah bra are called sports bras and available many shops and quite cheap.My favourites are from K mart but Best and Less , Target etc all sell them .
  • Romla
    Oops only odd thing is you step into ah bras. I had no fatigue during radiotherapy but very busy time as daily treatment and lots creaming up required.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Could you try a pad and stick it to  your bra not to you. I was thinking more if needing extra protection. 
  • JoeyLiz
    JoeyLiz Member Posts: 339
    It would be great for you to continue walking through the radiation,exercise is encouraged and actually helps to lessen the fatigue, however it you do become tired make sure you do take some time to rest, go to bed  little earlier for example. As for the bra situation, I'm not sure how to help with the size difference sorry, for rubbing I'd suggest sticking to non underwire bras, pure cotton, avoid wool, a silk hanky is always a good option, when you get the skin reaction mepilex lite dressings are great to reduce friction.
  • Ulli
    Thanks for all the feedback and ideas.....
    How often should I be applying cream? Kezmusc mentioned Moo goo, have others found that to be the best as well? 
  • JoeyLiz
    JoeyLiz Member Posts: 339
    Try and do the cream 3 times a day, moo goo is great!
  • Romla
    I’d say minimum 3 times creaming , more if you need it - and I did in cairns on holiday as uv/ heat seemed to activate things.I did not know about Moo Goo and used Dermaveen which is colloidal oatmeal which worked fine. I really liked the Calendula supplied by the Radiotherapy centre as did everyone else as always running out in the change rooms.I used Q.V. cream in Cairns when I ran out . Cetaphil I noticed replaced sorbolene in my last few days of radiotherapy in the change rooms.PS Calendula is worth reading about on the Herbs app / mskcc website as it gets a very good rap for radiation burns.
  • Artferret
    Artferret Member Posts: 259
    Have a look at Braza Australia. They have an online presence as well as a place in Nunawading, Victoria.  They have all different kinds of inserts that may help. I was looking for some chicken fillets to pop in the right side to help prop up my smaller breast. It's worked and is really comfy. You may find something there that will work for you.
  • Ulli
    Thanks everyone; 3 treatments down, 22 to go! I am grateful for all your advice. I found some interesting info supporting the use of Mepilex from a trial done in NZ. I’m off to look for an ah bra now. 
    Best wishes Sister (Adelaide Hills) for your treatment starting this week. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Thanks @Ulli.  Hopefully, they don't lose me this time!