Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Advice on ceasing treatment

Comments

• Stork
    Stork Member Posts: 121
    @kmakm Hi what is the link between Alcohol and breast cancer is it only applicable to breast cancer or other cancers effected? I have found this thread very upsetting and sad, my Aunty died of MBC and my father died of Metastatic liver cancer, at the end it was a peaceful death all the family was there when he passed away.
    Stork
  • JJ70
    JJ70 Member Posts: 983
    Sorry..this has my scratchings all over it...
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

@mellyb Sorry that your thread has diversified from what you were talking about initially, but that's what happens when we are all in the soup together. Well done for pulling the bandaid off a difficult topic. This is where our sponsors @bcna can step in and give some more specific advice that the rest of us who are just muddling through can offer.

@stork I'm not going to put up links for you, but it is important to understand what the term Class A carcinogen means. It means that there has been sufficient research done to establish a scientific connection. It in no way means that alcohol, a class A carcinogen, has the same effect as being irradiated in a nuclear attack. Which is also class A.  It means that there is well researched evidence of a connection. That can get really confusing when all the well researched indicators get lumped together as being equivalent risks.

Mxx

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    It is awfully sad isn't it @Stork.

I'm aware of the link through hearing about it on the ABC and my own, Googled, research. Here's a page from the Cancer Council website:

https://www.cancer.org.au/policy-and-advocacy/position-statements/alcohol-and-cancer/

I'm not a medical person so please don't take anything I say as authoritative. Always best discussed with your doctor.

Please look after yourself. If this thread is upsetting you, please scroll past until you feel stronger. Big hug, K xox
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    @Stork
    Are you okay?
    I can understand you feeling upset but that wasn't the intent. The discussion has become quite deep.
    Everyone means well and this thread has stirred emotions in some of us. I miss my Ma inlaw and my Mum. I was with Mum when she passed. Mets is a bitch.
    Please take care and ring the helpline at BCNA if you're still upset 
    Sending you a virtual hug
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    @JJ70, does breastscreen Australia offer mamograms to women 40 and over?. When I found my lump I was 42 and my doctor referred me and I was told they would not do it because I was not 50. I had to travel all the way to the other side of town to a q scan as they only had the mammogram machine in one place.
  • JJ70
     Hi  @LMK74 Yes, FREE from 40. Your DR was WRONG!! However, in your particular case, if you have found a lump/symptom BreastScreen want a Dr referral to go straight to Breast Assessment Centre - not a normal centre.
  • JJ70
    Sorry to divert the thread....just answering questions that have been asked of me specifically..... xx
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LMK74
    Thanks @JJ70, but it was breastscreen themselves that refused to see me. This was just last February. I rang them myself.
    Gosh maybe we should start another thread.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

Yep, another thread is the go :)

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited August 2018
    @Mellyb To tag people you type their user name with the @ in front of it.

As you know I'm with you about changing the way BC is presented to the public. When you're ready, let me know.

@Kirsten_BCNA You might like to read this thread!
  • LMK74
    @Mellyb, just my opinion, but there is no point in sugar coating things so others aren't afraid. If anyone finds the topic of death too much,well like you said scroll on past. Its a reality of life.
  • Stork
    Stork Member Posts: 121
    @kmakm I did dry July Xmas is looking good and I have a fatty liver, no alcohol will improve my health on three fronts hopefully.

@iserbrown I am feeling OK I have a very good supportive family I find the forum very informative and supportive.
    Stork