My Health Record

Comments

• Vallerina
    Vallerina Member Posts: 183
    I opted out. Im sure it will be easy to opt back in if needed or wanted in future. For now, due to lack of trust in the online world, Im out. It took 5 minutes.
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899

Now we wait for the other obvious major change required - to opt in rather than opt out.
  • steplightly
    steplightly Member Posts: 185
    Interesting discussion. Seems to me an Australia Card (years ago an outcry against) by stealth. I know we have a huge foot print on line with banking, purchases, bills, browsing - nothing safe. I have opted out of this because I have a choice now and may not later.  The tax office, banks, centrelink and other government agencies have enough info on me already. Not ready to give it all away yet.  Tired of living in "Big Brother" land.; Even in opting out I had to prove who I was.. wonder what happens with that information.; sigh.

• Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    That may be the deal breaker! 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    Hubby & I are OUT!
  • BlackWidow
    BlackWidow Member Posts: 268
    As the new opt-out timeline is fast approaching I decided to make the call for more information and was informed that a GP had opted me in !  At that appointment I clearly said NO but he did it anyway - what the ???  So, ladies, you may have a record without even knowing.  Worth checking.
    During the discussion the operator acknowledged that anyone working in the health industry can access your record.  I am sorry but the bimbo at the local GP office does not need to know every detail of me (obviously she can see what is in the records of that particular practice).
    I was given nothing whatsoever to make me feel the system is secure.  If you do not wish to work on-line, the help line of 1800 723 471 is open 24/7.
    I have opted out and will opt in over time if I feel the system is working FOR me.  Anne
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I didn't think that anyone could opt you in other than yourself and a guardian - unless you're very taken with the GP it sounds as if feedback is warranted 
  • BlackWidow
    Yes, he made the decision himself and no doubt recorded a different conversation (as per comments from someone else earlier on this post re medicos comments).  I no longer see him anyway.
  • arpie
    Everyone is 'in' unless you 'opt out'.  

As I understand it - your GP can't make the decision on your behalf.

Personally, I don't trust the Govt as being smarter than the hackers.

You should be able go online & use your centrelink/whatever log in to change that.

• BlackWidow
    The record showed he had opted me in on a given date!  I was not keen on going on-line as I am not very computer savvy (just learning) but rang them and I am now out.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Yep you have to opt out or you are automatically in.  Ridiculous.
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    As today is the deadline for this, I backflipped. I was in, now I am out. The creepy cardiologist that I saw changed my mind.
  • arpie
    My personal theory is:   If they can't even run census without it being hacked - how can they guarantee your info isn't safe from those outside the medical profession?    

I opted out months ago.

There is regular illegal accessing of police records (licence details, convictions, accident reports) when bribes are offered to staff members on behalf of employers or insurance companies .......

The same could happen with the medical records.  It could be the reason for insurance claims being knocked back, or the reason you don't get that job that you are perfectly suited for.