Night Howls

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

Yep @allyjay farting in a hurricane pretty much describes it. I just can't stand the thought of some smug bureaucrats being able to say "We have never had any community feedback about that" I want to be an annoying old woman; I've worked hard to get to this stage of my life and I'm gunna take advantage of it!

The rose count has blown out to 36. I don't know how that happened, they must have been breeding while I wasn't watching and I'm now scared of all of them. it's like being surrounded by Triffids. Oh well, it just means another day hobbling around with the secateurs. The mess in phenomenal and I've managed to spear the top of my head on a really savage climber. Claret! I'll blame trying to do all this with welding gloves on to avoid the dreaded rose thorn stabbing thing that leads to 7days IV antibiotics. If I don't sleep tonight it wont be because I've slept in then lay on the couch!

• AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    @Zoffiel...must indeed been The Day of The Triffids for you. Have you thought of smaller, thinner chainmail gloves like those that some chefs wear when using wickedly sharp knives? My husband was given a pair from our daughter when he got all Master Cheffy a few years ago. He now wears them when our Lilly...pussy extrordinaire...needs her nails clipped. Keeps her fangs from perforating his hands.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Our local ex-rose grower seems to be happy with the chainsaw version of pruning, using the snips for finer detail!
  • Zoffiel

That's happened in the past @sister You can, but it's not my preferred option. A friend pruned my roses for me a couple of years ago and I nearly wept when I saw what she had done. It's taken a long time for me to get them back to how I like them--though I don't know WTF I was thinking when I did them last year. Not much, it would appear.

• Sister
    The kangaroos do a pretty good job on mine - not much left.
  • Zoffiel
    :/
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    Thanks for reminding me @Zoffiel I haven't done mine yet!!
    & I hadn't even thought about it , better find the gloves ,ive got a lot too!!!
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @Zoffiel
    When I lived in Perth some 25 years ago I loved my rose garden. They bloomed wonderfully filling the house and garden with their perfume.  BUT.......... I hankered for a tropical garden.  NOW I have the lush, green and colourful tropical garden, and what do I want - roses!!!!!  Flowers of the temperate kind do not grow too well in the Kimberley. However my orchid house is awash with colour. The orchids are blooming. 
  • JJ70
    JJ70 Member Posts: 983
    Ah, what a lovely group. So glad we are back on track. Scrolling through these posts had made me LOL many times....thanks ladies.x Much later where you are on the East now, so I hope you are all sleeping. I might have a go at the last episode of Handmaid's Tale season 2.........bloody scary if you ask me.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited July 2018
    Still awake here @JJ70. I'm a night owl as well as a Howler.

I think we need t-shirts!

@Zoffiel @tigerbeth I have only done two of my roses... Maybe this weekend.
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    @JJ70 & @kmakm still awake here too !!
    listening to the melodic snorer !!!
     I too am a night owl & howler !! Always have been when I was a kid I used to read under the blankets with a torch for hours  :o 
    surrounded by a ton of pillows to support my dodgy shoulder & keep my spine inline , hardly any room for me to fit in the bed !! 
    It is however giving a tiny bit of relief so I will persevere

Footy on Saturday so might attempt the roses on Sunday if it's fine . .

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I was one of those kids too @tigerbeth!
  • Zoffiel
    Blah. My foot has its own heartbeat, the possums are rooting on the verandah, the bloody fire has gone out and my milk, which has done about a thousand km in the Esky in the last week, has gone off. And I'm out of sleeping pills, tramadol or any other goodies that could smooth the edges. Blah.
  • Sister
    I pity those roses @zoffiel Is the hound keeping you company?  My cat's not impressed because I slept in a bit (with chemical assistance) and the fire has gone out.  I don't want to wake the house too early by relighting it.

I was one of those kids, too @tigerbeth.  One of the drawbacks of sharing a bed as an adult.

@jj70 The Handmaid's Tale is one of the books that some of the senior high school students read for English - I keep meaning to read it so that I know what they're reading but haven't managed to, yet.
  • JJ70
    JJ70 Member Posts: 983
    Hi @Zoffiel and @Sister howling out across the country....anyone got their ears on? Awake since 330...no chance of getting back to sleep...head is awake.