Happening so quickly

Susie9
Susie9 Member Posts: 5
edited July 2018 in General discussion
Hi,im new to all of this,everything has just been a whirlwind,in the space of 3 month,found a lump,had tests which confirmed cancer,had right breast mastectomy and fitted with expander Thursday 19/7 home Sat 21/7 with drains.drains look clogged up to me but community nurse seemed to think they are fine and I've developed a weird sunken space in my non boob in the last few hours..sorry for the long post just a little worried,has anyone had the same experience??

Comments

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    hi Susie9  
    Sorry you have need to join us.  I am sure someone will be able to answer your questions soon 

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

Navigating the online community
    formerly the what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/navigating-the-online-community-formerly-the-what-and-how-thread

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other
    resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further
    information or support please call 1800 500 258. BCNA’s helpline will now be open from
    9am-6pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5pm Fridays.  

How to understand your pathology reports

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/tests/understanding-your-pathology-report/breast-pathology/breast-cancer-pathology.html

Soldiercrab
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Welcome @Susie9.
    Have they started expanding your expanders yet? They usually put some in at time of surgery.  When only partly filled the fluid moves around a bit. So if you are laying in a certain spot. ..say on your back....the fluid will level off to sides and so when sitting up it suddenly looks flat then slowly the shape evens out. As they put in more fluid it improves. But...do speak  with your breast care nurse tomorrow in case it's not that. Kath x
  • Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    Hello @Susie9 it can be a very overwhelming time, lots to absorb and cope with. Please don't hesitate to contact the BCNA helpline and speak to a cancer nurse for support on 1800 500 258. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I can't help with the question @susie9 but can relate to the whirlwind you have found yourself in.  Welcome.
  • Susie9
    Thank you for the welcome everyone,seen plastic surgeon 24/7 said everything with tubes and sunken bit looks OK,so that's a relief,but had a call from Dr young ( mastectomy surgeon) this morning and she said it was in one of the lymph nodes she removed,so now I'm really stressed about that,does that mean it's spread through my system??sorry I'm a bit concerned about it all
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    hi  Suzie9 I had it is a few lymph nodes it just means normally a bit more chemo compared to if you dont have lymph node involvement I am here cancer free nearly 6 yrs later. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    If it's in your lymph nodes that just means they've discovered that the cancer has spread to that point from the breast. It doesn't mean it's gone any further. I imagine they will check with some more scans. I know it's awful, the whole thing is a shitfest, but try not to cross any bridges until you come to them. As @SoldierCrab says, it'll probably alter the length and type of chemo you're on, but know that you're in one of the best places in the world to have this disease and your medical team will take very good care of you. You are going to feel such love from friends and family, you're going to deepen your knowledge of yourself, and you'll even have some crazy laughs along the way, especially if you keep hanging out here! We'll hold your hand every step of the way.

Give your GP, or breastcare nurse or your surgeon a call if you have a burning question that's keeping you up, and take a big list of all your other questions to your next appointment. Waiting and wondering is the pits so never hesitate to shorten the torture for yourself by firing off an email! The best advocate for your breast cancer is you. If you struggle to ask the questions and get the answer, bring a friend or family member with you.

Hang in there @Susie9. Take some deep breaths and focus on just one hour at a time. Big hug, Kate xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    @Susie9 Mine was similar. Originally thought to be contained to the breast but had spread to some of the nodes.  For me, it meant chemo as well as radiation.  It doesn't mean it has spread any further through your body - just that it was on the way to making it's escape.  Talk to your medical team and try not to think too far ahead at this stage.
  • Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    @Susie9 wishing you al the best and lots of hugs.  Try not to think too far ahead. Xxx
  • Susie9
    Thank u all so much for the reassurance.so glad I joined this site,everyone is so supportive and it's good to know I can to talk to people going through the same thing xx
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Hi @Susie9,

Same here.  I already  knew it was in my nodes as that is where I found the original lump.  Scared the bejeesus out of me thinking it was everywhere else.  They took all the nodes out.  There was 5 with nasties in them.  So chemo and rads. Ct showed all clear for everywhere else though.  I am just a couple of months short of 2 yrs since surgery.  

All the best lovely

xoxoxo

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I lost 17 nodes, only one was malignant. Nearly 6 years clear, so take heart! 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I had 3 sentinal nodes removed but all clear.  Pathology on that will determine what happens next. I knew I was having chemo regardless it was just whether I needed more nodes out and radiotherapy also dependent on result. The waiting is hard. Update us when you can. The gap where nodes were with iften fill in with natural body tissue to some extend. 
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,950