Cracked Rib !!!!!

smokie08
smokie08 Member Posts: 157
edited July 2018 in Health and wellbeing
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else has cracked a rib couching after having chemo and rads?  I recently had a bad cold  and cough and it seems that i have cracked a rib having a coughing fit!!  I went to the Drs a few weeks ago and they gave me anti infalmmatories and said if no better then have an XRay .  Well no better so had Xray and got results this morning and turns out cracked 11th rib!  Now i have to get a chest CT done and Bone Mineral Density because of my history.  Dr said last years bone scan was clear so i hope and pray its not spread to my bones .  Started to stress a bit now and to make things worse Hubby is away in the UK as his Mother is seriously ill.  I have not told him yet as he has enough on his plate without worrying about me.  

Thanks for listening and take care all of you lovely people and have a good weekend :)<3

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Hopefully it's just the dreaded side effects of treatment. My sister developed osteoporosis due to an eating disorder years before and got many a cracked rib prior being diagnosed with it. It's very painful. Hopefully you'll have your results soon and once healed you will be able to start treatment to strengthen your bones again. 
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    I had a cracked rib 1 month prior to  diagnosis from getting out of a leaky QS air mattress - very painful. I have had osteoporosis for some years  - I had a brief interlude with Bisphosphonates because of this which am willing to discuss further if you wish . I do not recommend that option.

As part of investigation prior to surgery a bone density test was done which confirmed a fracture and a very low t score.My medical onc later used this test to prescribe 6 monthly Prolia injections at the PBS price to counter the bone thinning of Aromatase Inhibitors.

I did not have chemo but understand from what I have read on the blog can cause bone problems. Others will probably comment on this aspect.

i did have 16 rounds of radiotherapy and have read that it does cause rib pain.Yes I have that problem - bearable but I notice it daily.

To complete the picture if you also have hormone therapy using Aromatase Inhibitors bone thinning is a major issue and that may include your ribs.

Good that you are getting it checked thoroughly. Wishing you the best and happy to chat further about this.

• Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    My neighbour, who hasn't had BC, had a cracked rib from coughing after a virus so I think it is quite common and another friend after whooping cough, no BC either. Good luck but hopefully it will turn out to be just a cracked rib!
  • smokie08
    smokie08 Member Posts: 157
    Thank you ladies  I am going on my otis retreat in a few weeks  so hopefully the rest  n destress will help. @romla I  am not having any more treatment as triple negative  going to see the surgeon in August  to get the results of mri scan hope that is all clear  don't know if I can handle more  sress at the moment 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Which Otis are you off to, @smokie08 ?  Hopefully the dough and the rib are sorted by then.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @smokie08 I had a bone density scan once I finished chemo which showed I had osteoporosis in my neck and lower lumbar spine. It was so low that I needed immediate treatment. I thankfully haven't cracked a rib or had any fractures, so it does sound possible its to do with your bone density. I had also been on Tamoxifen for 4yrs prior to chemo, possibly all added to it. Its certainly able to be addressed, all the best with your bone density scan. M. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    'cough' not "dough"  I really shouldn't use my phone.
  • Chelley59
    Chelley59 Member Posts: 55
    i was told by my radio onc that RT weakens the rib...she said even to be careful having massage that it can sometimes fracture   :o