WHO ELSE CAN'T SLEEP? - MARK #2 Indignation at Closure of Original Thread

JJ70
JJ70 Member Posts: 983
Imagine: Here I am at 3 am, unable to sleep and happy to be able to get onto my favourite thread and chat with some of my favourite people, like @kmakm @Kiwi Angel @finch @eastmum @SoldierCrab @Kattykit @tigerbeth @kezmuscconnecting me across this country with a common side-effect of this 'Shitfest Spectacular' (thanks @AllyJay for the wonderful words)......to find that WHO CAN'T SLEEP? started by @Sister has been closed! Pardon me? I completely do not understand and do not agree with the reasoning behind it either:
BCNA:
"This has been a really great and valuable discussion and I am aware of how much of an issue lack of sleep is for our online community.  I certainly don't want to stop discussion regarding sleep but will need to close this thread as I'm sure you will all agree it is just as its too long.  We have had feedback from members that they can find it difficult to find information as the posts are very long and often include lots of different topics. We are going to be a bit more diligent about keeping posts shorter on track so you will notice us splitting or closing discussions a bit more (don’t worry, we won’t close them in the middle of interesting discussion!)

So that new and current members can find information about how best to manage sleeplessness, Im going to review the posts in this discussion and compile a tip sheet  from our online community.  I would encourage you to continue this discussion in new threads as I know it’s such an important issue and concern for you."

So, BCNA don't consider us celebrating your last chemo @Sister as 'interesting discussion'?

BCNA, I love you guys, but seriously? Do you not see that this is more than a thread about sleep? It is a real connection, a history between people, friendship and support,  a show of comradery. Closing this thread is very short-sighted. If new members can't find information on posts because they are too long, there are lots of other options like ...umm..let's see.......asking a direct question? The original thread has always been very inclusive of lots of new members and lots of questions regarding sleep and how to get it have been asked.
So sad and infuriated with the closure.
So there!
Hmph!!

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    @Giovanna_BCNA  I understand that this thread is long and convoluted, I must admit that I was a bit surprised at the closure as, while there's been valuable sleep tips offered, it's main reason for being was "who else is out there at 3am - am I alone?".  This was, and is, one of the things I struggle with since my diagnosis.  I don't always have something useful to say in the middle of the night when sleep has definitely deserted me, but it is nice to know that I'm not alone and I guess that, given the thread has been going for months, others think the same.  I, too, am surprised that it has been going so long but I think it fulfills a need that the other threads, being specific, don't and I, personally, have made some real online connections through it.

So, could it be that it can be re-opened with a slight change to the title...something like "Who Else Can't Sleep? - General Chatter Place for Insomniacs" ?  Or get rid of the "sleep" word altogether if it screws with the search engine?

By the way @jennyss - I loved your Leunig cartoon but couldn't comment as I got there too late.
  • JJ70

• Sister
    I often see your face on the side of the screen in the early hours @Annski
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Morning all.  WTF.  I didn't even know it was closed.  Why?  It is nice to be able to chat to someone no matter what time it is.  Even if it is just to say good morning and that you just brushed your teeth with face cleanser  LOL.

It had become the thread to share sleep problems and just general chit chat. What else are you going to do at 3am.  Who needs to start thinking about BC as soon as you open your eyes. Or haven't shut them for a few hours.  I think it's valuable for everybody to have a line of communication that is not all cancer related.  Just every day stuff sometimes.  I really hope we can come up with a seperate kind of chat thread.  

xoxoxxo
  • Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    I loved the thread ... I  rarely contributed and rarely turn my phone on during the night (even though I'm wide awake) but kept up with all the comments , funny posts and serious bits . It's a great general chit chat, a conversation to drop in and out of. It's longevity proved its need. 
    Xxxx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Well i thought myself that a lot of things in the thread would be better as new discussions. New posts go to the top of the page anyway. Anyway thats just my thoughts. I rarely read it as I log in after a week and it was often just lines of people chatting to each other...which is great but you can set up individual private message groups you can do this with too. You can  also see who is currently online looking at the bottom of the page. All very valuable tools and both I have and used to my advantage. The thread was up to 1.2k comments. I don't think a new person would navigate to the end of that to figure out what it's about. 
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    I am mercifully not having sleeping issues atm ( touch wood) -I try to keep up with this thread as been some great posts/ information but sometimes a lot to wade through on the blog and not easy with my commitments to keep abreast(?) of it all . Then sadly I have missed the thrust of a conversation so either need to ask a ‘dumb’ question or read back pages or just let it go.

I agree a chat room (?) would be fantastic for those doing time in the wee hours but then those not awake would miss some conversation gems.

Am not technically adept but is there a limit embedded in the blog software as to how many posts can be made on a thread ? Does the main frame managing the blog have difficulties eg storage  if a thread is lengthy ? And then there is the human element of trying to moderate a lengthy thread which wouldn’t be easy especially if it incorporates many different topics all of which are valid. And then maybe moderation is an issue as not available overnight ( and rightly so).
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    I was the same - I loved that thread to be able to take to other people who were awake at the same time in the middle of the night and didn’t get the reasoning that it had been closed cause it was too long??  Good on u @JJ70 for starting a new one!!  xoxoxoo
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @JJ70 this was not the only thread they said that about and closed...I received the same reasoning on another. Yet there are some that are let to continue, no rhyme or reason it seems but their reasons. :/ 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    ***quiet bleating in the background*** perhaps a chat option. The Spyder forum chat has 'Soap Box' Somehow the mods manage, nothing on that thread shows up on google
  • Sister
    I think we definitely need to have something like that @zoffiel if a single rambling thread is not an option.  That, and a compassion button for when we cannot find the words.
  • JJ70
    Now, shall we proceed with our sleep issues?
    Night before last I was awake at 1am. I tried meditation in bed, but I somehow began this meditation loop that was insync and rhyming with my husbands snoring  :o , which completely did my head in. After two hours of audial torture, the call of WHO ELSE CAN'T SLEEP? and the possibility of chatting to someone I feel connected to on this forum was a beacon in the dark. We all know what happened after that....
    Anyway, moving on. Last night I slept like a baby - so glad, seeing I had been awake for 22 hours. :#