Help from everyone who are screen detected like me.

anniemac
anniemac Member Posts: 2
edited July 2018 in General discussion
I was screen detected in April 6, 2017  when I responded to the invitation for screening mammogram. I had lumpectomy, radiotherapy and hormone therapy.  I had to stop the hormone therapy (arimidex)  for two months now as am having difficulty coping with tiredness, joints pain, depression and has been affecting my thyroid hormones ( had my thyroid removed and on thyroxine and had a laparotomy and laparoscopy for endometriosis before my breast cancer diagnois).  I am having regular check up for my thyroid and endometriosis. My physical breast examination in June, 2016, 10 months  before my screening mammogram did not find anything.

I had a trauma insurance for almost six years which I cancelled when my work contract was terminated. I have been the main bread winner and the premium has affected our budget and decided to cancel it.   The insurance was still in place when I had my screening mammogram but when the biopsy was completed my policy has elapsed and the insurance is now refusing to accept the liability because they initially consider the reading of mammogram as the date of diagnosis but now they are saying it is the date of biopsy.

I believe my screening mammogram showed a stellate lesion with a high probablity that is malignant from the date of screening mammogram even without the biopsy.

If you are screen detected like me when you are asked what date you were screen detected what date would you normally give? Will you say you are screen detected on the date of your screening mammogram or the date of your biopsy.  When someone  say they are screen detected would you only think that they are also diagnosed?

I have been wanting to post this since I joined last year but I was struggling to talk about my diagnosis that time.  I am slowly recovering after a year but I still have my constant anxiety everytime I woke up and I am feeling different especially if it is around my chest.

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I'd be contacting the ombudsman about this. It is a techicality. For many woman they  know from screening it is breast cancer just not the  type. It all depends on what the wording is on the screen detection. Do you have a copy of that report?
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Not sure - screening mammogram suggests need for further investigation.I then had this done at Breast Screen  one week later when diagnosis confirmed by needle biopsy after manual check., mammogram and ultrasound - 4-5 hours it took. Logic says at that point.

The Ombudsman is a good idea. 
  • Romla
    My diagnosis was delivered by a surgeon at the end of my 4-5 hours investigation at Breast screen and first time the C word was used. Lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy just refined diagnosis eg type. Size etc
  • Romla
    I was given my breast cancer diagnosis at the Breast Screen Assessment Centre which is separate to where screening mammogram are done. In SA you are called to attend there for further investigation if you have a suspicious mammogram for more detailed tests.

Hope my convoluted posts are useful - not sure of arrangements in the country or interstate. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    edited July 2018
    I think that, as @primek said, this is a technicality and some legal advice is required.  The Ombudsman is a good point to start (saying that, I have never contacted the Ombudsman for anything so cannot comment on the pros/cons).  

Personally (and I know this has no legal standing), I would take it from either the screening date, or at least from the date that your screen is read and deemed to be recallable as it is at that point that something has been noted.
  • anniemac
    anniemac Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all. My screening mammogram report shows a stellate lesion and I think what @primek says the biopsy is just to find out the type for finding the right treatment in my case.  

I think that, as @primek said, this is a technicality and some legal advice is required.  The Ombudsman is a good point to start (saying that, I have never contacted the Ombudsman for anything so cannot comment on the pros/cons).  

Personally (and I know this has no legal standing), I would take it from either the screening date, or at least from the date that your screen is read and deemed to be recallable as it is at that point that something has been noted.