Hot flushes

Harvey1903
Harvey1903 Member Posts: 189
edited July 2018 in Day to day
Hi there - for the last two years during and after menopause I have had the worst hot flushes at night.  Cover on cover off all night, even to having a towel with me.  BUT since the two DCIS's have been removed - nothing! zippo.  Even my brain has had the fog lift, no PMS'y feelings.  Has anyone else noticed that?  have looked it up but couldn't find anything, if at all its been the other way.
Julie.

Comments

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Lucky you @Harvey1903. I am post surgery, chemo and have just started tamoxifen and I have the sweats every night just when I try to go to sleep. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Well thats a fabulous bonus.
  • Harvey1903
    Yes, happy as.  However once I have my op (1st August) I was told I would need hormone treatment.  So have been reading up on that (on this site), hopefully I'll get something that will sit well with me.  
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    What a win!

My hot flushes came on strong with chemo, abated somewhat to a manageable-ish level in the 10 weeks after, only to return longer, stronger and now with added bonus sweat! when the Letrozole started sucking the oestrogen from my body... I know we have to go through menopause but to do it at your own body's pace is far preferable to the rapidity of a medically induced 'change of life'. I had a brief glimpse of what I think menopause would have been like for me in those weeks.

Oh well, reducing my chance of a cancer recurrence is the better of two evils. I must say it's quite nice to go about my life not worrying about getting a period. Still haven't given up carrying supplies in my handbag though! Probably good to have them their for my girls anyway.

Just had a blood test so my onc can see if my sex hormones are trying to rev up my ovaries to start again. I'd be surprised if they were, not feeling it. K xox
  • Harvey1903
    Yes, @kmakm a win.  I happy at the moment not having them.  Strange really, I couldn't find anything about it.  I am taking lexapro 5mg a day and am weaning myself off as feel I don't need it anymore.  Hopefully by the time I am on hormone therapy I won't be mixing drugs up.  Better watch out 'precautions' may be needed.  lol  J 
  • kmakm
    @Harvey1903 Lol indeed! Though maybe not...  :o:p
  • kmakm
    @kezmusc Can't remember where we were discussing it, but over the last few days I've kept a note of how many hot flushes I'm having per day, and the number seems to be 10. These days have seemed average days, sometimes the number is lower, sometimes it's higher. So I'd say I'm having round about 8 - 12 a day. That's 8 - 12 too many thanks!
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    I had the hot flushes too from chemo I would sleep on a towel some nights and have a squirty bottle by my bed. I finished chemo oct 16 then in July 17 almost overnight they all just stopped along with the residual neuropathy in my hands. Just got lucky too I guess. I’ve seen those cooling mats in the tv direct shops I would of tried them if it was still an issue. Mind you I was triple neg too so I haven’t had to take any post chemo meds. So maybe that’s helped.... I don’t know. Big hug. Margie. Xx
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    You're not wrong @kmakm.
    Any is too many.  I've had nearly 4 weeks without them since the "T" break.  Thought I was on a winner, but no, they've re appeared, not as bad, not lasting as long, and only at night so far. I will spit chips if they come back any worse again...aaaggghhhh
  • kmakm
    @kezmusc Bugger! Here's hoping.
  • Spiv1803
    Spiv1803 Member Posts: 126
    @onemargie I hope I'm the same as you. Finished chemo Feb 18 xx

• onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    @Spiv1803 I still have no issues with them. The occasional night I’ll flick the doona off but it’s brief and uneventful with no hot flushes or sweats or anything. Just got too many Jammies on normally.  I have issues with my osteo sometimes. Mostly in the mornings when it’s cooler. I need to get some oil for my elbow joints like the Tin man lol. But once I’m up and moving I’m fine. I think it’s advantageous @Spiv1803 we don’t take the post chemo hormone receptive drugs due us havinf the TNBC maybe?? . I’ve read they aren’t so nice in regards to that. I’m not sure, but I’m feeling great generally, no fatigue or neuropathy etc so I feel very lucky. It will be two years in oct since I finished having the round up through my veins. I hope you all feel as good as me sooner rather than later. Big hug. Margie xxx
  • Spiv1803
    @onemargie I hope I'm the same as you. Finished chemo Feb 18 xx

• Spiv1803
    Thanks @onemargie , the bone and joint stuff is horrendous in the mornings, but yes, when I get going I am better. I really should be exercising more though. Life is busy!!! Trying to run my business, the house, the husband, the kids. Phew.
    Looking forward to the hot flushes disappearing that's for sure.
    Do you take anything for Osteo health? A vitamin or something.
    Thanks Love, will chat soon xxx.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    I've learned to live with them. I get them day and night and every half an hour at times yet other times its only a few. Anything can set them off including anxiety, excitement or just walking through a door way. I just live with a coat and a fan handy. It is rather like I am a baby and cannot regulate my own body heat. It used to be embarrassing but I really don't care any more. It is what it is.