BreastScreen Victoria Podcast

HI all,
Here is the much awaited BreastScreen Victoria podcast featuring our CEO Kirsten Pilatti and the online network's very own @kmakm who did a fabulous job. The podcast explores what it’s like to be diagnosed, supports available and why events like the Field of Women are so important.

Tagged:

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Well done ladies!  Most impressive interview, @kmakm !!

I agree with the first question after diagnosis being 'Do you have Private Health insurance' - that was actually me experience - and then being on the conveyor belt of higher costs ...... tho I still chose my surgeon (and  incredibly pleased with the results.) I WAS actually given a quote for my surgery (but who hears & reads everything they are told or given in the first 2 weeks? Other than Yes, I can do you tomorrow!?)  

Yes, I went private for surgery, public for radiation & oncology - and am currently $6500 out of pocket & growing - and I only had a lumpectomy, breast conserving surgery, radiation, no chemo or reconstruction as such - and now on Letrozole tablets for 5 years. 

If I were to be given another diagnosis requiring surgery today - I would elect for public surgery (hopefully with the same surgeon as he was SO good) & still public for ongoing treatment.

All the best for the Field of Women event .... I hope the weather plays nice!  ;) 
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Grea work ladies.Just a suggestion be good to hear from a member from regional Australia and there are a number of other complexities they face in their treatment cycle.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Thank you @Romla and @arpie.

@Romla you should pass that feedback on to BreastScreen (their podcast series). You make a really good point and I think it would make a good topic for their series.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    @kmakm I have tried to but honestly don’t know how to actually post it - can you help ? Would also like to see the blokes with breast cancer having a podcast.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kmakm
    Thanks @Joannie :)

@Romla Maybe try sending Natalie an email? npearson@breastscreen.org.au
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    edited July 2018
    @Joannie
    I have high private cover and have had it for about 45 years.  I've used it for major things like surgery (mainly minor - and I guess you'd call my BC surgery minor as well on the scale of things.)   I am also rural - so we don't have access to as many medical services as those living in the city - and this includes your choice of surgeon.

Sure, the Health Funds pay all the hospital bills - but they don't cover the gaps in anything else - and this includes your surgeon & all the tests/scans/biopsies etc.

There was even a $500 gap in my post op Pathology fee (of all things!)  I can't quite work that one out - as I would assume it was a necessary part of deciding whether they'd 'got it all' or not?

If your surgeon charges MORE than what THEY consider to be an acceptable fee for your designated surgery - you will be out of pocket for the difference, as I was to the tune of about $3500.  

I also had to pay an additional $400 (on top of my 'excess') as my surgeon's hospital was also not on their list of 'accepted' hospitals!  :(  It all adds up.  So far, $6500+.

Many women choose NOT to have reconstructions entirely due to the Gap/cost.  It is considered to be cosmetic surgery.

With this being my first diagnosis with BC (confirmed Jan 5th this year) ..... I wanted it done then & there, and did not want to wait 2-4 weeks or longer, even if my surgeon was available on the public list - as it was doing my head in.

NOW, in  hindsight .... if I need further surgery at any time - I will ask him if he can do me as a public patient instead (as I am so happy with his work) and am prepared to wait 'a while' for that to happen.

People who go public usually have very few out of pocket expenses.

I put a post up earlier, encouraging members who went private to add to the list of those who's surgeon (in particular) have  NO gap here:

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/18935/no-gap-providers-in-each-state-who-doesnt-charge-out-of-pocket-expenses#latest
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Finally got a chance to listen - well done @kmakm (good to hear your voice) and @Kirsten_BCNA
  • kmakm
    Thank you @Sister. Ghastly having to hear your own voice, but it seemed to go OK. We talked for over an hour so there was lots of editing.
  • Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    Excellent podcast @kmakm . All those who are newly diagnosed should have the opportunity to hear this . 
  • kmakm
    Thank you @Finch <3