Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Journals, letters, books or gifts to leave for your kids

TripleNegMama
TripleNegMama Member Posts: 47
edited July 2018 in Metastatic breast cancer
I have been thinking about writing a letter for my kids, but think I might turn it into a book - Mum's advice - I lost my mum when relatively young and there was lots of times when I wished I could have asked her what she would suggest. I want to have it as a bit of a resource with tips and suggestions that they can just look at when they need to. On health - info on family health risks and genetic conditions in our family (info they are too young for now and my hubby will never remember but they will need when planning a family or managing their health checks etc), On kids - letting them know that they will be ok and you don't have to listen to ALL the advice you are given and it's ok to stay at home and ok to work whatever they choose will be ok and don't feel guilty about your choice etc etc anyone have any suggestions on the topics I should cover????
Tagged:

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Sounds like a fantastic idea. Things about friendships, partners/spouses, memories you've shared, things about your life and family, about your pregnancy and their birth, things about  how it was growing up compared to theirs.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited July 2018
    First loves, first heartbreaks, first cars, pets. Your grandparents. Books to read, songs to hear. The songs you sang to them when they were babies. Their first words, steps, funny stories about poo and tantrums and what you did that worked. Their favourite tv shows when they were little. Your favourite foods, and the ones you loathe. Good and favourite recipes for all occasions! Any advice for when they have their babies, what you found good and what you ignored. Advice about choosing a life partner. Advice about facing adversity, what you've done to handle the tough times and celebrate the good times. K xox
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    My Grandfather wrote a book about his life & his parents life for the family, and also kept a diary.  It's interesting to read how things where back when he was a child, and his thoughts on life as it happened.  I read his diary entry for the day I was born and he says "(Mums name) had a baby girl today, what a beauty."  In another part he also talks about helping to build roads in their area.

So I'd say times and ideas will change over time, so put your life & thoughts in writing for them. 
  • Kari_2015
    Kari_2015 Member Posts: 107
    I just recently found my mum's journal (she is still alive but in aged care).  Really enjoyed reading it, and so did the grandkids.  
  • RachelG
    RachelG Member Posts: 50
    Beautiful idea @TripleNegMama
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited July 2018
    Favourite family recipes.

How to cook a roast and have it ready all together.

Xmas traditions of your family.

Funny stories to read out from things you did together.

Precious memories of times together.

Why certain things...like a dinnerset...was special to you. The story behind the thing is what's important and brings meaning to them. 

I think it is a brilliant idea and something all of us could do. I would have loved that keepsake of my Mum. X
  • primek
    You can create photo albums with stories online if you want to do some of it like that. Especially if you want a couple of books but uniquely different parts. 

https://www.snapfish.com.au/store/photo-book

• wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    @primek, thank you so much for the link to this, I am not very computer savvy and would love to do something like this for my partner, son and grandaughter, the one for my partner would have to include how to use the dishwasher and the washing machine,.and where I hide the dog treats!,I have all the family photos and history regarding my parents, I sometimes wonder what will happen to them later on as these days the younger generation dont seem to be as interested as people of my age are, I still have my dads apprenticeship paper from way back and the copy of the official secrets act paperwork he had to sign, also the letter from the old king dated 1918, welcoming my grandfather back from being a prisoner of war - so much history - 
    ps. nice to see you back
    wendy55
  • primek
    Apparently @wendy55 even Big W do something similar. Just google photo books.
  • kmakm
    I agree @Wendy55, @primek you have been missed. K xox
  • Stressmagnet
    Stressmagnet Member Posts: 34
    What an awesome idea!
  • kmakm
    @wendy_h67 If they're not interested their children will be. It will become a family heirloom. Keep going! Just think, long after anyone who remembers you is gone, your descendents will know of and about you. It's a wonderful thing. K xox