swelling of the hand and arm

Matt
Matt Member Posts: 14
edited June 2018 in General discussion
Hi
Just wondering if anyone has experience or advice about the swelling of my arm, should I be worried,  I saw the onc last week and she sent me for an scan to make sure not a blood clot, she said just fluids, I haven't had surgery yet so my lymph nodes are still there under arm, I have to finish my chemo treatment first before they operate on breast and lymph nodes, I thought swelling comes long after removal of lymph nodes, it's been about 3 weeks my hand and arm swollen, would I be better off seeing a GP to have this sorted as reading up on it, starting to sound like lymphoedema 

Comments

• Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Hi @Matt - I think that @Kiwi Angel has been having this exact same side effect from chemo - lots of fluid - I’m sure she will be helpful. 

If your oncologist has investigated it and ruled out anything sinister, that’s a good sign - If you’re still worried though, a visit to your GP could just give you some piece of mind. 

If your lymph nodes are still all intact, then I’m pretty sure you’re right about it not being lymphodema. 

Hope it settles down for you! 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    You need to get that seen to. Ask your breast care nurse to refer you to the lymphoedema clinic at your hospital, they are the experts when it comes to this sort of thing.
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    I agree with @Zoffiel, you need to get it looked at by someone who knows lymphoedema.
    This link should help, if your local hospital doesn't have a lymphoedema therapist
    http://www.lymphoedema.org.au/the-register/find-a-practitioner
    Take care
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,539
    Hi Matt
    Agree with others please go and get it checked. It doesn't sound quite right
    Take care 
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    edited June 2018
    You should be able to see a physiotherapist via the oncology dept. They will teach you exercises and self lymph drain techniques. You may also be given a compression sleeve and gauntlet to hurry things along. All mine was free. I no longer wear any rings on my fingers, just in case I swell and end up having to get rings cut off.