I was brave today!

Fionap2017
Fionap2017 Member Posts: 64
edited June 2018 in Day to day
I thought you lovely ladies might understand and appreciate this. Today I bravely (not really) ventured out for the first time since my hair started growing back without wearing my turban. I didn’t think I had a particularly attractive head when I had hair so I was just never game enough to leave the house without covering it up when my hair fell out. My hair is still very short and quite grey but it felt great to style it (just comb it to the side) and walk around the shops like a normal person with some hair like everyone else again. It’s funny the things I get excited about along this journey! 

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    @Fionap2017 well woo hoo girl!  Good on you!  It's a touch of normality coming back!

Take care
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    I remember posting on Facebook how excited I was the first time that I woke up with "bed hair".

Mine was about your length the first time that I ventured out without head wear, too. Good on you
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited June 2018
    Well done warrior woman! I've just started this last week too. SO weird. But only when it's mild like today. Winter in Melbourne has so many people in beanies & hats I don't stick out so much anymore when I'm wearing one! Good on you Fiona. K xox

• Fionap2017
    Yours looks great! Wish mine was that dark, I’m not a fan of my new grey hairs!

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Wow @Fionap2017 & @kmakm - how great do you ladies look - hopefully this will be me in another couple of month - growing through the bits the cold cap saved! 
  • kmakm
    edited June 2018
    Fiona, in the crap shoot that is the genetic lottery, I lost on breast cancer but I won on going grey. 52 and still only got a few. I would have preferred winning on BC but hey, I'll take a small win! What colour were you before? It could still come back. And how cute is that blue eyed blond spunk you're sitting next to?! Those dimples!!
  • kmakm
    @Kiwi Angel It'll be back before you know it  :*
  • Fionap2017
    Yes kmakm, my little man is a bit cute! My hair was dark brown before but I had been getting it coloured for quite a while as I had a few grey hairs coming through. I’m a bit worried that the greys are actually just part of my natural colour now that I’m creeping close to 40. Oh well, I can always get it dyed again. I’m a bit nervous though because I’ve heard that if you dye it too soon after chemo it can come out an odd colour so I might wait a bit. You did do well in the genetic lottery (other than the BC of course), you don’t look 52! 

Hang in there Kiwi Angel, it will grow. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Hey Ladies - Grey is GOOD!!   @Fionap2017   @kmakm

I think you both look fantastic - and short hair is 'in' just now too!!  WIN WIN

I LOVE the pic with your little man, Fiona - the eyes are the same, the grin/pout is the same - it is just GORGEOUS!  xx

SO many society ladies out there go & get grey streaks actually put INTO their hair (and PAY FOR IT!!)   Just go 'a la natural' and let it happen - it will look 'more natural' too!!

I used to have flaming red hair - I don't know what you'd call it now, but it sure ain't red - more 'nothing much' with 'a lot of grey/white in it now'!! LOL

Al the best to you @Kiwi Angel  as well .... it WILL be back - and it may be curly too (as happened with hubby!)

Take care, ladies xx

• tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    @Fionap2017 & @kmakm Wow you girls look great ! Hope you feel back on  track real soon xx
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    You both look beautiful!
    How lucky is your son to inherit such gorgeous eyes!
    It's lovely to enjoy short hair for a while - so easy to manage. xx
  • duxx1234
    duxx1234 Member Posts: 128
    @Fionap2017 and @kmakm  You both look gorgeous and what a handsome little man you have there @Fionap2017!
    Can you tell me how many weeks growth that is after finishing chemotherapy? Your hair looks so healthy! Did you have soft, fluffy hair come through first? I have fluffy, mangy, white hair coming through and wondered if I should get it cut off? 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Both of you look great!  
  • Fionap2017
    I finished chemo 13 weeks ago duxx1234. At first I had that soft white fuzz all over my head but I just let it go and it’s started to thicken a bit more now and it is darker underneath.

I agree Michelle_R, I am enjoying the low maintenance part! 

Thanks for all the lovely comments everyone, both about my hair and my little man. He certainly got my eyes but looks so much like his Dad. My older son looks just like me but with dark hair and big brown eyes. Both cuties but I am biased!