Immunity Boosters

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @arpie I've had my DEXA, results were fine.

@Romla I've never been a huge supplements person, just used them occasionally. However so many people here swear by them, and my health feels so compromised, that I'm keen to give them a whirl. I want to improve my immunity, vitality and ease any lingering after effects of chemo, and side effects of the Letrozole.

I will check out that website. Thank you  :)
  • viking1
    viking1 Member Posts: 288
    @Kiwi Angel - the garlic would be good for someone like me who is on Herceptin sub cut till Sept. I have heart function tests every 3 months as the Herceptin may cause heart probs. Thank you!x
  • viking1
    @wendy55 Where do you get your Vit B injections from? Sounds good! X
  • viking1
    edited June 2018
    Re turmeric - for one of the strongest doses - curcumin potentiated with black pepper in a bar form that you slice up, try the Australian Turmeric Life website. QLD grown … fixes your joints/inflammation and your animals! Worth a gander. There is a Facebook  page but go to the website for a full picture. Xx
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @viking1 make sure u get the kyolic brand aged garlic. xo
  • wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Hi @viking1, my gp gives me the script, I fill it and then he gives me the injection once a month, my oncologist doesn't mind, it just gives me a bit of a boost, I guess if I got a super dooper vitamin b multi vitamin tablet it probably would be the same, its just that I am drug sensitive and the vitamin supplements are full of all sorts of things, I stick to what I have been using for the last 5 years and it seems to work for me, ask your gp when you go and see him, I cant take turmeric as it interferes with my chemo, its a case of trial and error but vitamin b12 injections have been around for years and I know several people who have them,hope this helps.

wendy55 
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Since I've been on chemo I've craved rolled oats porridge (?my Scottish heritage and childhood breakfasts?). I have it most mornings - with crushed almonds and either blueberries, banana or stewed apple. Swapped out with a poached egg on toast. I'm trying to do low carbs but toast has become a bit of a comfort thing, too. 
    I'm going to wait until after chemo and rads to consult about what I can re-start in terms of supplements.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    If you’re craving toast - have you tried bruschetta which is basically Italian tomatoes on toast but with garlic ,basil , cracked black pepper and olive oil ? I am somewhat addicted to it atm.
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    I love bruschetta, but I haven't made any for ages. Thanks for the reminder.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,523
    edited June 2018
    At your mentioning @Romla .... I had a bowl of porridge this morning!!  :)   Just plain - in the old days I used to smother it with brown sugar that would melt into it & make a sort of 'sauce' .... but I am not into 'sweet things' these days!

It's probably the first time in a couple of years!  Good old comfort food, eh??

Re the Vit B12 - just get your bloods tested for it next time you have them done - there is no point taking it if you don't need it. Mine was quite low & hubby can no longer manufacture it (something to do with the 'Intrinsic Factor' in the lower stomach lining that converts it ..... which he doesn't have any more with most of his stomach being removed!)  So we now have the injection every 3 months.
  • viking1
    Thank you re Vit B and also the reminder to check whether I need it … I had totally forgotten about that! Guess that's my mentality of "I need everything!!!"
  • Blondy
    Blondy Member Posts: 238
    kmakm. You mention ankle pain. I've been on letrozole since beginning of may with no problems. Last week a bruise about 3 inches long, and skinny appeared on the outer side of my foot. My ankle bone felt like it had been hit by a mallet and last Sunday when it was much worse I went to the doctor who ordered an xray which reveals nothing. But now the top of my foot on the outer side is feeling very bruised when touched with a faint bruised colour. Weird, as I have done nothing that I can remember by way of injuring it I am now awaiting an ultrasound to see if  a torn ligament as the soreness follows the path of a ligament. I did mention could it be the medication I'm taking but was assured it wasn't. The fortunate thing is, if I don't touch it it barely hurts I can walk ok etc. Being on my feet causes the foot to swell. Rest and it goes down. It's a mystery to me. 
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @Romla I’m lazy now and use the little porridge sachets which I put fruit and toasted coconut chips on but I should get back into rolled oats. I remember when I was little getting up with Dad back home in New Zealand in winter and getting out the packet of rolled oats and making porridge with lots of sugar and milk - good memories. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @Blondy That's no good, and very mysterious. I hope it improves very quickly. My ankles are still sore but not as much as the other day. It'll take some time before I know if it's the Letrozole or not.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,523
    @Kiwi Angel    Oooh YUM!  I've used those porridge sachets too - they are great when travelling!  I just like regular old porridge - I use a blender thing to break the 'full size oats' up into smaller bits, so it cooks quicker!  (If you buy the 'fast cooking oats' that's all they've done to it - and charge MORE!!)  My dad used to just soak it the night before, so it cooked quicker in the morning - otherwise it was like chewing dried grass!

@Blondy   If the bruising continues maybe get your bloods checked (and mention the bruising to the Dr) ....  Every now & then my right Big Toe & bunion area just go ballistically painful (can't put any weight on it) so not sure if it is gout or just aggravated for some reason - but no bruising.  It usually doesn't last too long but is excruciatingly painful!  :(   That is only a new thing for me over the last month or two (been on Letrozole for 1 month now.)

Getting a tad more serious now - Folks .... Some important things to remember when taking supplements (I used to be a Home Economist in my earlier career path & had to learn all this stuff!!  Amazing how often it comes in useful!!  ;)  )  

Re taking Vitamins & things - some people often take WAY MORE than are 'recommended' ..... on the principle that if 1 is good, 2+ must be better ...... NOT SO!  As with any medicine - they should be taken 'as prescribed'!  

Apart from anything else - the 'water soluble Vitamins - particularly the B Group & Vit C  - you just pee them out the next time you go to the loo if you take 'excess quantities', so literally - you are just pissing your money down the drain (a big win for chemists and the manufacturers!)   

Conversely - the FAT soluble vitamins (A, D E & K) DON'T get 'voided' from the body as readily - and are STORED IN YOUR LIVER & BODY FAT CELLS - and can be toxic if taken in excess quantities!  Here's a bit of light reading for you!!

Note that it says:   
    • Megadoses of vitamins A, D, E or K can be toxic and lead to health problems.
    http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/nutrition-food-safety-health/fat-soluble-vitamins-a-d-e-and-k-9-315/

So, please read the instructions of ANY supplements you are taking & only take what is recommended!   ;)