Immunity Boosters

kmakm
kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
edited June 2018 in Health and wellbeing
@Flaneuse @viking1 @arpie  I thought this topic deserved its own thread!

A discussion on another thread has got me thinking about my immune system as well as the characters above. I've been concentrating on my gut as research is increasingly showing that gut health rules the health of so many other areas of the body, including the brain. And boy does my brain need help after the last few years!

I might add some immunity boosters into the mix to bolster my post-chemo system as we start winter. Probably all the drugs I had with the BMX & recon haven't helped either. I eat really healthily, but what would you warrior womyn suggest?! What has worked for you?

Comments

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    I love my Kyolic aged garlic tablets which I couldn’t have during chemo. I’m gonna start taking them again as they also help with heart health and I feel like my little heart could do with some TLC at the moment. I generally also like to use a lot of chilli, garlic and ginger in my cooking and I make a lot of fresh juices at home with whatever fruit is cheap at the supermarket 
  • kmakm
    @Kiwi Angel There's garlic and chilli in just about everything I cook! Thanks for the reminder about the juice. I've got a birthday freebie from Boost waiting for me. Today's the last day I can collect it. I'll get one woth an immunity booster in it!
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @kmakm I love boost - have at least 1 a week. I quite like açai bowls too. 
  • wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Hi all, I have found that Vit.D, calcium and magnesium help me I also take a probiotic every day and have a vitamin B12 injection every month, this helps with my mental health and sense of well being, anything I do take I run past my oncologist, and also look up the sloan kettering site in the usa its a big site that tells you what is good and what is not, my oncologist told me about it, also for well being I have a massage every month, what ever makes you feel good!!
    wendy55
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Good gut health, mental health & physical health all helps us get thru this shit with less collateral damage, I reckon. 

Hubby takes EVERYTHING ..... Vic D, Calcium, Magnesium, Tumeric, Probiotics, Fish Oil, Vit B12 inj and a bunch more!  

I take the Probiotic & tumeric & have the Vit B12 injection every 3 months.  I was taking Fish oil & ArmaForce immunity booster but have forgotten to take it recently (if it is not in front of me, I forget it! :( )  More recently, taking a raw apple cider vinegar concoction with herbs & spices in it (I reckon that should kick start a motor bike!)  

They reckon the apple cider vinegar with mother also helps reduce arthritic pain (so I will continue with it, even after this little tonic bottle runs out) as I assume my aches & pains may get worse with the Letrozole.

We have garlic in a lot of our food & we eat pretty healthily.  Lots of veg, lots of colour.  I LOVE my home roasted capsicums - I do 1kg+ at a time & could eat it all in one sitting - but then would probably end up sitting on the loo ..... so everything in moderation, nothing to excess!!  ;) 

I particularly love my 'coloured' veg - Orange Sweet Potato & lots of Pumpkin, purple/red cabbage in particular .... SO yummy!
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Just a plug for rolled oats - if you are on an Aromatase Inhibitor and your cholesterol goes up - strange as it sounds rolled oats as porridge for breakfast is known to lower cholesterol .But always check with your doctor whether a statin is required too.
  • kmakm
    @Romla I don't know if my GP tested my cholesterol in my blood test before the op. I'll check, and get it done if she didn't. I'd like a baseline.

I have rolled oats in my cereal (mixed with All Bran and a few low sugar dried cranberries) every other day. If my cholesterol goes up I'll make it daily.
  • kmakm
    @arpie If the ankle pain that woke me up three times last night is the Letrozole, then I'll be giving the apple cider vinegar a crack. I might anyway. How much do you take?
  • Romla
    Hey @kmakm a very tasty way to increase garlic is bruschetta .Chop tomato , basil and purple onion add a bit olive oil and cracked black pepper.Toast some thin Italian bread, Peel a clove of garlic and rub over hot toast -and pile tomato mix on top. Garlic dries the nose , thins the blood and I believe keeps colds at bay.
  • kmakm
    @Romla I love bruschetta, it's been ages since I made it. Thank you for the reminder  :)
  • Romla
    @kmakm baselines for cholesterol and bone density are wise. Also the latest natural fixative is Curcumin an extract of turmeric said to have multiple benefits but not recommended whilst on chemo as conflicts with meds.  Supposed to be ,amongst other things ,anti- inflammatory so might help with joint pain eg your ankle
  • kmakm
    @Romla Was just discussing it the other day with Pharmacist Tom! He was telling me about a form which is more easily absorbed. I'm going to work my way through the various supplements and observe their effect. Then I'll try combos. I'm going to start with magnesium, and then curcumin.
  • Romla
    @kmkam the wonderful @primek gave me this amazing site and would urge you to explore it. I have found it endlessly useful and worthwhile.Like you I am a natural supplements fan but not all are safe for everyone in all circumstances. It originates from a Cancer hospital in NYC which amongst other things thoroughly researches natural supplements and here is their web address

www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/patient-education/herbal-remedies-and-treatment 

It is not only about herbs but includes vitamins and minerals nor is it only about their impact on cancer.This site is recommended by BCNA.

But please also check things out with your oncologist/GP if in doubt.

• Romla
    It’s not an immunity booster in the strict sense other than being a relaxant and encouraging sleep. Celestial Seasonings “Sleepytime tea” available in supermarkets is great. Growing up with Italian neighbors I learnt early about camomile for anxiety and insomnia but never liked the taste until this product came out. Worth a shot those having trouble sleeping.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    @kmakm  ...... Oh dear, I hope it ISN'T caused by Letrozole, Kate!   I just have a good 'swig' most mornings ... hold your nose if you're not too fussed on the taste!  LOL

I had cholesterol and bone density done before starting the tablets - cholesterol was a tad high and the bone density 'looks ok' but haven't seen the report yet.

I had to give up my Curcumin/Tumeric whilst on Rads - and for some reason, it doesn't seem to have 'kicked in' as well since starting it again! I'd been on it for years prior to that & am sure it had reduced my pain.  :( 

Hmmm, @Romla  ..... I don't mind porridge at all .... may give that a go - god knows it is cold & miserable enough up here just now!  :(  Wet Wet Wet