Are you a breast cancer survivor who happens to be childless?

Comments

• BlackWidow
    BlackWidow Member Posts: 268
    Hi @Janet A, have you had any further discussion with the BCNA people re a private group for childless ladies ? Anne
  • Janet A
    Janet A Member Posts: 281
    Hi Anne,

Yes I have heard from Marianne and they are willing to create a forum. I hope to speak to them as I have volunteered to be a moderator. Are you preferring a private group? I guess I am looking for numbers for and against either a private or a forum where one would have to meet certain criteria to enter? or wade in any discussion? 
    Looking forward to some comments.....
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Private would make more sense - a lot of personal stuff that shouldn't be available to the general public via google.  Anyone wanting to add a comment would just have to join ....... 

• Janet A
    That can't happen on this forum can it? 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Yes, anyone can google and read everything posted in the public forum. There are 8 'guests' present on the site as I type. The only way to keep a conversation private is to PM someone or to have a closed group that is only visible to it's members.
  • arpie
    edited May 2018
    Yep!!  I googled my user name with 'cancer' after it & it took me straight to my 'story' here!!

So just be aware, that if anyone else knows your user name - others 'could' so some googling & find your stuff here. xx

If they can be bothered reading thru ALL your posts to see if you've mentioned them 'in bad light' .... they deserve to know!   LOL
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @arpie - that’s scary!!!
  • Janet A
    I typed into google, Janet A 'cancer' but this site didn't appear?
    How did you do it @arpie
  • Janet A
    Ah, I see, just added the @ came up first on the rank.....
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    I was going to say private group, anyway....
  • arpie
    edited May 2018
    Sorry, @Janet A  .... I should have said "My user name & "Breast Cancer" into google - tho just now - it came up with an answer from @Giovanna_BCNA   that was linked to THIS PAGE!  LOL

oooops .... just googled 'arpie cancer' 2 topics popped up this time - plus one on my husband's cancer from 2010!!  Originally it was only my 'home post'!!

I've given up on the algorithms that dictate what comes up in a 'search' on Google or Facebook ...... maths was never my forte at school!   LOL
  • Janet A
    To be honest I was a little shocked to see it goes to a site that requires a username and password to enter the online network. I have studied internet studies, worked with a software developer who was hot on security. The security on this site seems inadequate unless it's deliberate or perhaps they haven't realised this. Facebook and Google are linked, that's obvious by the way sites show up on your newsfeed just after you google something. Really, if you want something private don't go on the internet. 
    If anyone has a public blog you run the risk of spam so running private seems more sense. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I would never have been here if it wasn't for Google. I did searches and this BCNA website kept coming up in the results. I lurked until I could resist joining no longer. Thank goodness I did. It's been a life saver for me.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    This site doesn't do like many and demand access to your Google or Facebook accounts. As far as I can determine it will allow posts to be discovered by most search engines. I don't see much cookie activity which, I assume, means BCNA isn't mining data other than what it explains in its privacy statement.
    It is a really bad idea to use your own name on a public forum. It is also a bad idea to use the same user name on multiple forums unless you are willing to have different activities linked to the same person; you.

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    BCNA does advise not to use your own name or anything identifying on the public forum.  If you're not logged in, you can look but not comment on the posts in the public area.  This means that anyone can see it but it also means that those who are newly diagnosed (for example) can lurk in the shadows to get information.  I sometimes go on the UK and US forums doing this - I don't want to join but occasionally there may be more information.  If you want to be private, pm or choose the closed groups.